Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: TPTK early in the PS $500k

[ QUOTE ]

2. This is generally my default line for several reasons. First I will often raise hands like AK/AQ in this spot because SBs range is fairly large, and even if he calls I'll follow up on the turn sometimes if I think I've got a good chance of folding him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also raise AK/AQ in this spot a lot and feel that against most players, it's the correct play. For that reason, I probably should raise a hand like this. The problem I have with it is that in a vacuum, I don't think raising here is better than calling. Yes, there are people who will call down with a worse jack or some other garbage, but I think raising tends to make your opponent play pretty much perfectly against you (i.e. he folds worse hands, calls/raises better hands). So while raising is probably better for meta-game purposes, I don't like it here. First of all because I may not be playing with these people long. Secondly, online I don't like to assume that my opponents are watching me closely and taking notes on how I play. So basically, I guess I don't think the EV lost by raising instead of calling is made up by metagame purposes.

Steve

P.S. Also, bump for replies to turn action...