Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Some questions about AK, full ring and 6max

This post mainly pertains to 6-max. I've left full-ring as it just doesn't feel profitable for what I want to do, which is to play against the loosest players possible. This has sometimes posed a challenge where I can't put a player on anything because their hands can literally be anything from air, two pair to a set. I've once read that there was someone who would never, ever limp AK, suited or not. I believe it was because you would be letting bad hands see a flop for cheap. I was wondering though, in a loose table where people would limp small aces and fold to raises, wouldn't it be correct to just start limping AK along with AQ and AJ in order to extract maximum value when you hit an ace, and fold if you don't so you don't lose out or become obvious post-flop? Some might argue that you lose value because they would call a raise with Ace-rag anyway. Well, alright... what about for the psychological value? If you didn't raise pre-flop, they wouldn't quickly put you on AK. So, what I'm wondering is... if ever, when would be the BEST time to limp AK?

I also remember a post where someone explained that if he raised preflop, and was checked to on a draw-heavy board, that he would check behind because he didn't want to inflate the pot. To that, I wondered... wouldn't you let bad hands make something while losing value that you would get if you bet? What flop texture do you check behind to? Check in EP from? Sometimes, I'm just afraid of being read too easily. I find my AK cont. bets being called down by mid-pairs. I feel like I'd hammer them when I pick up an overpair, but it just doesn't happen. What's the standard with your AK? Bet-bet-bet?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Some questions about AK, full ring and 6max

bet-bet-bet if I've hit, always raise pf for value, AK is a hand that will win a lot of multiway pots as well as HU pots, hands like pp's are played passively in general pf because they have implied odds.

When to make a continuation bet? all player / board dependent imo, if you pick up a draw against a usually very agg opponent that in all likelyhood will CR the flop if you bet.. checking behind is obvious.

Same goes for leading into a weak-tight all day long regardless of board, obvious reasons.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Some questions about AK, full ring and 6max

I'll occasionally limp with AK against loose players who are respecting my raises but will limp behind with all sorts.
needless to say you got to be carefull , and I cant say I've had great success doing it but I like to mix up my play and limping with raising hands and raising with limping hands is part of it. Of course dont overdo it.