Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Skipping a Limit

Ok. I'm anticipating a flame here, so take this as an abstract question, not a personal plan. Is there something specific gained from play in 1/2 that is required before playing 2/4? If so what is it? Because, abstractly of course, someone might say that 1/2 on Party Poker is such a boring-ass rock garden that it MIGHT be positive EV to build your bankroll to a 2/4 level playing .5/1 then jump right to 2/4. Flame away, and thanks for your time.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Skipping a Limit

Playing 1/2 isn't necessary - but it is certainly a good idea if you want to improve your play. The 2/4 game is tougher than the .5/1, and the only real way to buffer yourself against the swings is by playing 1/2 for at least 10k hands. If you're a really dedicated player - you should be able to knock this off in a week or two. If you're having trouble consistently beating it, spend more time there. As you move up limits, the skills of the players increases. 2/4 is still a fish-fest, but there are going to be fewer AWFUL players and more TAGs and LAGs. Hope this is helpful.

Ajax
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM

No flame here. I would be interested to know if you have the bankroll for it, and if not do you have a plan to take a shot that won't ruin you if it doesnt work out.

I am currently in the situation where I am playing well below my bankroll, but since I'm on a downswing and I have not logged enough hands at .5/1 to demonstrate anything meaningful, I'm staying put.

I personally am (obviously) much more conservative with my bankroll, but if you think you can move up to 2/4, take 50 bbs or so and take a shot.

I do think you might get more meaningful and useful responses on the small stake forum.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:57 PM

play at least 10K hands of winning poker at 1/2. i'd suggest playing at least 10K hands and winning at least 300 BB's. you learn enough lessons there to make it wortwhile.

also, try playing during the day for at least 1/3 to 1/2 of those hands. you haven't seen tight-passive poker until you sit on a 4 BB average pot 10 handed table. you need to learn how to beat these games.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies so far guys. To Greg: I would plan to get 300BB for 2/4 (1200$) before making the move to 2/4. I'm about half way there right now.

Ajax and btspider: You guys are saying the kind of general things I've heard already. I'm not trying to be pedantic, just wondering what the skills gained are. It seems like it would mostly be making more laydowns w/ hands like top pair, that hold up in .5/1 even against raisers. Are you talking about things like that? If you have the time and the will could you be more specific? Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 PM

There is going to be a situation in your poker career when you are faced with a tight table. This will likely occur at a point where you're playing at higher limits. You will lose your shirt unless you learn how to adjust gears in your game. I'm not saying you can't, but I think a quick pit-stop at 1/2 will pay dividends later on in your career against tougher opponents.

If you are content playing 2/4 for the rest of your life, then skipping 1/2 is not detrimental. But if you eventually hope to move up in limits and be playing the 5/10, 10/20, and 15/30 games, then some of the skills you learn in 1/2 will be invaluable in shortening your learning curve at these limits.

Ajax
Old 10-25-2004, 08:14 PM

I really need to play some more 1/2 to learn how to deal with tight tables. I moved up to 2/4 because 1/2 was soooooooooooo boring (1/2 6max was fun, though).

Rob
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 PM

I was unaware the the 1/2 is a "rock garden." Either way, this plan sounds fine to me.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:16 PM

it has nothing to do with making more laydowns. i learned how to play overcards that miss much better at 1/2. i learned how to deal with shorthanded play (i.e. 1 limper to you in the CO type situations) and blind stealing/defense. i learned to adjust my preflop strategies to changing table textures with hands like Axs or a baby PP UTG when you could limp them 95% of the time at .50/1.00.

table selection and relative position become MUCH more important. you will run into a few more LAGs and a few more TAGs than you are used to. there is plenty to learn and 10K hands is not much.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:17 PM

As long as you realize this - you're fine. It's players who beat 2/4 and 3/6 and then assume they have the skills to take down 5/10+ who will have trouble because they missed out on a pretty big learning process.

Ajax