Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: dear God when will it end?

[ QUOTE ]
Either way tho I think it is incredibly lame that the people who work at places like starbucks and subway feel they are entitled to tips, yet their job is nothing like any of the other proffesions that earn tips, and is pretty much exactly like the guy working the fryer at Mcdonalds who would never dream of getting tipped.

[/ QUOTE ]
If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it? It seems illogical for the employees not to have a tip cup available as long as the company allows it. That the cup is out there doesn't necessarily mean the employees feel any sort of "entitlement" to tips at all, although I would suspect some mentality of entitlement would form over time in the minds of some employees in some industries.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember a long time ago in a thread talking about how I throw my pennies away because I dont want them, and you mentioned how you leave your change on the counter all the time. Since then i've been doing that a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Woot!

GoT
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it? It seems illogical for the employees not to have a tip cup available as long as the company allows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I suppose, but I think that falls into the "when will it end??" point of my post. How long before there is a tip cup at the counter of blockbusters, or in front of the cashier at WAL-mart? At some point you have to admit it becomes completely absurd, for me that point is a drive thru window at a menial job

[ QUOTE ]
That the cup is out there doesn't necessarily mean the employees feel any sort of "entitlement" to tips at all, although I would suspect some mentality of entitlement would form over time in the minds of some employees in some industries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I think when you are perching a plastic cup on a 2" ledge outside a drive thru window, which is lets be honest, a completely RETARDED location in terms of security, it comes off as you feeling entilted to it.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. My father once told me that there's a simple question you can ask yourself if you're the employee in a situation like this where you have a close situation, and you're deciding whether to leave the tip jar out or not:

"Would I rather the money were in my pocket or somebody else's?"
Old 12-23-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. My father once told me that there's a simple question you can ask yourself if you're the employee in a situation like this where you have a close situation, and you're deciding whether to leave the tip jar out or not:

"Would I rather the money were in my pocket or somebody else's?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pathetic. It's like saying, "I'm, going to be standing around in this park anyway. I might as well put a tin cup out and panhandle."
Old 12-23-2005, 02:21 PM

I went to Chipotle a couple days ago. They had a tip jar as well. I'm not tipping in a freakin' cafeteria style restaurant.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 PM

If I have to get up and get my food, I'm not tipping. Tipping is for:

Tattoos/Piercings
Waiters/Waitresess
Pizza Guys/Chinese Delivery

and that's it. Starbucks is so overpriced as it is, I wouldn't give them another dime. (Exception: I know someone working and they give me free coffee, then I tip)
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Congratulations. You have discovered the fact that panhandlers make more money than they would if they didn't panhandle.

Now the only question is hourly rate.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. You have discovered the fact that panhandlers make more money than they would if they didn't panhandle.

Now the only question is hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made my point. Of course they make money at it, but it's still pathetic, just like putting the stupid styrofoam cup out on the counter at Starbucks. There are a lot of things one can do for money if he's really pathetic. For instance, I'll give you $20 to eat some dog poo. You'll have money, but you'll also still be pathetic.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You just made my point. Of course they make money at it, but it's still pathetic, just like putting the stupid styrofoam cup out on the counter at Starbucks. There are a lot of things one can do for money if he's really pathetic. For instance, I'll give you $20 to eat some dog poo. You'll have money, but you'll also still be pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "if it's a close situation". Is eating dog poo a close situation? Panhandling might be if the money means something to you. I'm sure that the money in the tip jar means something to the workers. Enough that they probably wouldn't sweat a thread or two in OOT.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said "if it's a close situation". Is eating dog poo a close situation? Panhandling might be if the money means something to you. I'm sure that the money in the tip jar means something to the workers. Enough that they probably wouldn't sweat a thread or two in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything so pathetic as begging inappropriately for money (ie. putting a cup on a Starbucks counter) is not close.