Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Good marginal decisions or compounding errors....

New to this site. I know nobody, nobody knows me. This is the 6th hand I've been dealt.

I've always been able to make the converter work. I can't now. I'll do my best.

Seat 1 - RP1 $10.15 in chips
Seat 2 - RP2 $58.64 in chips
Seat 3 - RP3 $1.02 in chips
Seat 4 - RP4 $2.67 in chips
Seat 5 - RP5 $29.94 in chips
Seat 6 - HERO $48 in chips
Seat 7 - RP6 $20 in chips
Seat 8 - RP7 $12.85 in chips
Seat 9 - RP8 $17.01 in chips
*** BLIND [dealer 5] ***
HERO - Post small blind $0.25
RP6 - Post big blind $0.50
HERO - Pocket [2h,Kh,6s,Ks]
RP7 - Calls $0.50
RP8 - Calls $0.50
RP1 - Calls $0.50
RP2 - Folds
RP3 - Calls $0.50
RP4 - Folds
RP5 - Calls $0.50
HERO - Calls $0.25
RP6 - Checks

Double suited kings with two small cards is automatic call here.

*** FLOP [10h,6d,8h] ***
HERO - Checks
RP6 - Checks
RP7 - Checks
RP8 - Checks
RP1 - Bets $0.50
RP3 - Calls $0.50
RP5 - Calls $0.50
HERO - Calls $0.50
RP6 - Folds
RP7 - Calls $0.50
RP8 - Calls $0.50

Okay, this is the spot. I hit my second nut flush draw but with two small cards, one of which counterfieted my only low chances. That's the bad news, and bad news it is. On the other hand, the pot is getting large and there are many players tagging along. I don't fear a check-raise behind me based on the few hands I have played. In general my thought process here is that I play well enough post-flop (I will dis-prove this in a second) to get myself into A LITTLE trouble. I tend to not fall "into the trap". Comments on this call appreciated.
*** TURN [10h,6d,8h,Kc] ***
HERO - Checks
RP7 - Checks
RP8 - Checks
RP1 - Bets $1
RP3 - All-In $0.02
RP5 - Calls $1
HERO - Raises $1 to $2
RP7 - Calls $2
RP8 - Calls $2
RP1 - Calls $1
RO5 - Calls $1

Great card. The check-raise feels really right here. It's my only chance to knock-out hangers-on. Comments?
*** RIVER [10h,6d,8h,Kc,9s] ***
HERO - Checks
RP7 - Checks
RP8 - Checks
RP1 - Checks
RP5 - Bets $1
HERO - Calls $1
RP7 - Calls $1
RP8 - Folds
RP1 - Calls $1

Okay, this is bad. QJ is the most reasonable draw, and it hit......and I called. I play 7 stud at the Crypto's to clear my bonuses. I almost never fold a river with any hope at 7 stud. I working on it. If the river had filled a likely straight AND bought a low even I wouldn't have called here.

Alright, I lost. Nothing special about the way I lost, but I'm interested in comments on the marginal spots.

Thanks!!

muse21
Old 07-21-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Good marginal decisions or compounding errors....

I'm not sure I like the Check-raise on the turn. It really doesn't serve much other than to pump more money in the pot, and given this situation, while your hand is decent, it's vulnerable. You'll loose half the pot to any non-pairing low card, and there's a chance your flush draw is no good either (I'd feel slightly more confident if there were fewer players involved).

I'd probably bet out on the turn, and Check/fold and *maybe* check/call river depending on the betting and the number of overcalls.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Pre-flop:
I don't think this is an automatic call but I would call here too.

Flop:
I fold. None of your outs are to the nuts and 6 of your outs also make a low. I am also afraid beacuse of all the number of players in this pot. Since there are 6 players I think there is a decent chance that the A high flush draw is out there.

Turn:
I am OK with the CR. It is going to be a high variance play if everyone calls. However if everyone calls I have to think that you have more the 1/6 of the PE here so the play will be EV+ and a CR may get people to fold draws that could beat you.

River:
Pot is huge. That is why they named it a crying call.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop:
I don't think this is an automatic call but I would call here too.

Flop:
I fold. None of your outs are to the nuts and 6 of your outs also make a low. I am also afraid beacuse of all the number of players in this pot. Since there are 6 players I think there is a decent chance that the A high flush draw is out there.

Turn:
I am OK with the CR. It is going to be a high variance play if everyone calls. However if everyone calls I have to think that you have more the 1/6 of the PE here so the play will be EV+ and a CR may get people to fold draws that could beat you.

River:
Pot is huge. That is why they named it a crying call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with pretty much everything here. I think the most important message here is to check-fold the flop.

PF: I'm trying to tighten up my SB play so I might actually fold this. The only flops you'll like are ones with a King. Your small cards here are almost useless. You can't make the nut low with them and you'll be beat with just about any other board/hand. I'm not crazy about suited Kings either. Even if I do make my flush, I still have to worry about the A-high flush.
Better to save your money for a much better spot.