Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Football Rules- Why don\'t teams decline this kind of penalty?

Ok, let's say Oklahoma was thinking we have a 60% chance to make the field goal and a 50% chance of a touchback from the 32, but a 55% chance of a touchback and a 10% chance of a field goal from the 37.

Maybe they think the extra chance of a touchback is not worth the risk if they can't back themselves up.

Maybe the other team thinks this scenario is a possibility , but decides to themselves that they want to trust their offense and don't need field position.

Not saying this is normally the case but this could be possible.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 PM

Jay,

The NCAA Football Rule Book. Scroll to page 124 where, under section 10, "Penalty Enforcement", it states "any penalty may be declined." I can't find an nfl rule book dicussion of the scope of a team's discretion to decline a penalty.

Why do you think a delay of game penalty cannot be declined?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 PM

I've seen coaches decline delay of game penalties.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:48 PM

yeah, and I don't get it why more coaches don't. It seem like a no-brainer in most all cases.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, and I don't get it why more coaches don't. It seem like a no-brainer in most all cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

One possible reason is that if its less than 5 yards to go, it might be too risky that they continually try this until the team is drawn offsides, giving the other team a first down. If they take the penalty, even if they jump offsides on the punt, it won't mean much.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:17 PM

I would defenetly go for the first down in that spot.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK football folks, this bothers me but maybe I missing something. Common scenario, it arose in last nights Holiday bowl in the 4th quarter with like 10 minutes left when Oklahoma had the ball on the Oregon 32 facing 4th and 9 up 10 points I think and took a delay of game penalty to give their punter more room to kick.

Why didn't Oregon decline the penalty?

One obvious answer is they couldn't decline the penalty, but Rule 10, section 1, article 1, subsection (b) of the NCAA football rules states "any panalty may be declined." I assume this rule is the same in the nfl.

So is this an etiquitte thing (which sounds like a silly rational to me, the game is about winning), or are a lot of coaches making an error here, or am I missing something?

Thanks, J.R.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened in a Rutgers game this season, I believe against South Florida. Coach Schiano declined the delay of game penalty that USF sought to give their punter more room. I believe it was 4th and 7, and there were about 30 seconds left in the half. When Schiano declined the penalty, USF flipped Rutgers the bird and went for it, and got it, winding up with a bonus FG to end the half. After the game Schiano said he'd never do that again.

I've always imagined that the reason you generally don't decline the penalty is to make sure that the other team punts and you get the ball. Leaving them at 4th and 4 to 9 say, at that part of the field, leaves the door open to a fake.