Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 12-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Cutting and Pasting Into Posts

One of the things I've been wondering about for a while now is why cutting and pasting seems to break links. If you write out a lengthy post in notepad, say, so that you can save it and not lose your progress should disaster strike, when you go to paste that post in to the post box, none of the links will work. The UBB code shows up as raw code, rather than a link. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Cutting and Pasting Into Posts

Nothing other than this has been happening since the upgrade. I used to be able to do this perfectly prior to that.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

line breaks are probably screwed up if you go from notepad
Old 12-09-2005, 05:05 PM

I have the same problem from Word, but I see your point. Do you have an alternative?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:21 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i don't employ the pasting practice much. i could try it from vim sometime, but i don't think you'd like that editor...
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't employ the pasting practice much. i could try it from vim sometime, but i don't think you'd like that editor...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like WinVI?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:58 PM

i would guesstimate that vim has about 16 trillion times more users than winvi
Old 12-11-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like WinVI?

[/ QUOTE ]
Vaguely. WinVI is a Windows-only notepad replacement that borrows what it can from vi. vim is essentially a vi replacement. It enhances old school vim by adding functionality people today expect like multiple undos. It's also cross-platform. Pretty much anyone nowadays who says that he uses "vi" as his editor probably actually uses vim (that includes me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). It won out as pretty much the standard vi implementation; I've never known anyone who actually used elvis, etc..
Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like WinVI?

[/ QUOTE ]
Vaguely. WinVI is a Windows-only notepad replacement that borrows what it can from vi. vim is essentially a vi replacement. It enhances old school vim by adding functionality people today expect like multiple undos. It's also cross-platform. Pretty much anyone nowadays who says that he uses "vi" as his editor probably actually uses vim (that includes me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). It won out as pretty much the standard vi implementation; I've never known anyone who actually used elvis, etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. I haven't used VI or a windows close of VI since the last time i used unix, which was a long time ago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM

If anybody can help me deal with the URL issues when pasting a long post I'd appreciate it. We're trying to get an FAQ up in MTT but it's proving to be difficult. You can see the file here.

thanks.