Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: 2/5 Live Deepstacked Trips

bump. i cant stop thinking about this hand so someone think with me :0
Old 12-29-2005, 03:02 PM

I don't see you getting away from this hand so push the turn, these guys have displayed they will call down with any piece of the board.

As played on the river i'm calling with the game as described. Your splitting with any 8 other than A8 or K8 or 83 which in this game could be there. Any Ax hand could make this move trying to represent an 8 thinking that they are at least splitting with the K kicker hitting the board.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Let's think this through. Villain 1 is BB and his range for calling your raise is essentially any 2. He's shown the willingness to bet and call raises with weak holdings. We can also safely assume he is a "gambler" and not a thinking player as per your earlier references.

After he leads for the pot on the flop his likely holdings are Ax or maybe 2 diamonds in your opinion. You'll give him a 8 a very small percentage of the time as "gamblers" almost always like to be greedy and check-raise this spot if they have the 8. He bets the pot and is called in two spots. Now a thinking player would probably shut it down in this spot after getting called by both you and villain 2.

However on the turn a K hits and his Ax is no longer Ax, but rather AAK88. Now that his kicker doesnt matter, he bets the pot again as he was shown no resistance on the flop. When you call again this would put serious warning lights on in Villain 1's head. Villain 2 folds so the pot is at 600 when the river blank comes. The hands Villain beats you with when he pushes the river in order from likeliest to least likely: 83, 8K, 8A, 33, KK, AA. Villains range that you beat Ax, Kxdiamonds bluff, naked bluff. You push with any other 8x from villain. I'd say you lose this about 10-15%, push about 5% and win the rest.

Given the context of the game you are in I cant imagine any way to fold this hand unless you have a serious read on villain 1.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:55 PM

I talked myself into a call, he slammed K8 against the felt and immediately went outside to smoke a blunt.
I still feel though that getting 2:1 i am good here far better than 30% of the time. I am not sure how i could have reasonably gotten away from it because even if i raise the flop and he pushes i think i have to call. Ditto on turn. Thanks for the feedback.