Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Pot equity checkraise..then missed turn

I keep doing this and i think its bad..should i be betting this (or pretty much any) turn?

All players are fishy..except MP who is kinda LAG.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks ???
Old 12-19-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Pot equity checkraise..then missed turn

check is good
Old 12-19-2005, 01:05 PM

I would only bet here if I thought everyone was folding. There's no way you can think that, so checking is good.

I know what you mean about how it's just kind of awkward to check here. I always feel like it gives away my hand as a flush draw -- then I'm always surprised when they call my river bets after the flush comes in...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you mean about how it's just kind of awkward to check here. I always feel like it gives away my hand as a flush draw -- then I'm always surprised when they call my river bets after the flush comes in...

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM

a lot of times I'm just going to lead out on this flop. if you get a bunch of callers you can check the turn and your range will be much wider, if you only get one you can fire on the turn again. If you get raised, it will be much clearer where you're at as far as planning a line for the later streets and can often through in a 3bet.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:13 PM

with 12 outs you still need to follow through on the turn, as you still are getting value if everyone calls. If Utg is likely to raise and fold everyone out then its a check (unless they are fishy enough to call anyways)
Old 12-19-2005, 02:14 PM

I would bet here. The reson is that there are a 3 opponents and you have 12 outs to a win. I understand that they may not all call but even if 2/3 call i dont think its a bad deal. This also hides your hand better because when you raise and then check behind it pretty much says that you have a flush draw and and wont get action if you hit it. If you bet and get diamond/2 on the river you still may get callers.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a lot of times I'm just going to lead out on this flop. if you get a bunch of callers you can check the turn and your range will be much wider, if you only get one you can fire on the turn again. If you get raised, it will be much clearer where you're at as far as planning a line for the later streets and can often through in a 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this, but the last line has me confused. Are you talking about 3-betting the flop or turn?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this, but the last line has me confused. Are you talking about 3-betting the flop or turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean on the flop, I would love to get in a 3bet. I remember at the lower limits this would sometimes freeze up the opposition if you then check the turn. If it's impossible to get a free card with this line I'm wondering if 3betting the flop and c/r the turn with top two or a set would be profitable which is something I never do.

I also have no idea why I so often say "through" when I mean "throw"
Old 12-19-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean on the flop, I would love to get in a 3bet. I remember at the lower limits this would sometimes freeze up the opposition if you then check the turn. If it's impossible to get a free card with this line I'm wondering if 3betting the flop and c/r the turn with top two or a set would be profitable which is something I never do.

I also have no idea why I so often say "through" when I mean "throw"

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe... ok cool that's what I thought, just making sure. I always wonder how far to take these sorts of draws heads up - usually strongly on the flop, weakly on the turn and folding the river.