Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Poker tracker - Does anyone not think it\'s worth it?

Thinking of making the leap, I've been reading about it and can't find anyone says anything negative. I've been doing good at the 1/2 LHE on PokerRoom, but feel this is the next logical step. Anyone who's not into it, or likes other software better?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Poker tracker - Does anyone not think it\'s worth it?

I went through an addiction to Poker Tracker. It certainly helped me better understand my strengths and weaknesses.

On the contrary side, while using it, I tended to not focus on the other players enough. I have seen posters in the past criticize a reliance on Poker Tracker as stunting one's growth.

Poker Tracker is a tool. Like all tools, it can be very helpful if used for the appropriate indications. It can certainly help you find leaks in your game.

While I have bought it, I no longer bother to use it - just too much trouble. Part of my rationale is that I have switched to predominately tournament play - especially SNGs.

I hope this convoluted answer helps you. It can be a valuable tool - but do not let it retard your growth by placing undue reliance on the tool.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Pokertacker has multiple uses. For example, rake tracking, profit tracking and post-play analysis of both your play and your opponents' play. I wouldn't be without it.

However, PT can also be used with GT+ or PAHUD at the table to assess opponents' style of play. I think this is where the difference of opinion arises. Categorising someone as 25/10/1.9 over x number of hands does not necessarily tell you much about your opponent - especially when x is small. It certainly doesn't tell you about any specific tendencies they have. The danger is that with these stats available you stop paying attention to the detail which is where you will win or lose money.

Of course if you are 8-tabling, you haven't got that much time for player specific reads so it's useful to know whether someone who raises UTG is an 80/50 maniac or a 13/9 rock.

So, yes I would recommend it (and the customer support is second to none). Just remember that it provides you with additional information and is not a substitute for thinking.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Pokertracker is the current gold standard.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 PM

Poker tracker is worth every penny but I really wish there was a multi-threaded alternative.

Its refusal to let you do anything else while it's crunching through the db for various operations is incredibly annoying once you have a big db (which takes only a few months)