Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Beta PokerEdge 4.0 rocks

I use the current version and had a chance to download the beta 4.0 version. Incredible, very configurable and customizable, and MUCH faster for whatever reason. The faster part might just be fewer users of it at the moment since it's beta.

An interesting features is it tracks BB/100 and I was fascinated to see how many TAG players by stats had either very poor (<1.0BB/100) or even significantly negative BB/100. Granted, most are basically sample sizes of only 2-8k, but it was still suprising.

I am not in any way affiliated with poker edge, no kickbacks, nothing. I just like the software.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Beta PokerEdge 4.0 rocks

What makes it better than PT + PV + datamining?

Lost Wages
Old 06-13-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes it better than PT + PV + datamining?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell, database size. All hands everyone you play with is transmitted to a central database...think a common PT database all PokerEdge players share.

When I sit at a table, there's rarely more than 1 player that doesn't have at least 20-30 hands tracked. With PokerTracker, I'd almost never have stats on whose a fish (TAGs I'd have some on).

LArger sample size means more reliable data. Some TAGs have 15k hands in the database. I can tell pretty reliably what their aggression is on the river at a glance.

How much would it be worth to you if you could import the PT stats for a few hundred 2+2 players? That's essentially what you're gaining with poker edge. I haven't used playerview/gametime so I can't speak to those.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Nifty, last update also has the Gametime/Playerview(?) style stats overlayed on the table/players themselves. And you can configure that stats that show up.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Those are interesting features, the only thing I found cumbersome about this program when trying it is that while running it it caused lag. This could however also be that I was running to many apps. Also every now and then I couldn't log into the server because it was too busy.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those are interesting features, the only thing I found cumbersome about this program when trying it is that while running it it caused lag. This could however also be that I was running to many apps. Also every now and then I couldn't log into the server because it was too busy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never found it caused my system to lag at all. PokerEdge 3.X itself could be slow though, somtimes timing out on a busy weekend night.

The 4.0 server seems to respond quickly though, usually with 2-3 seconds. I have no idea if that's part of the new version or because 4.0 has a new dedicated, but still sparsely used, server.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM

When does the 4.0 go live?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM

It's live now, all the stats work and whatnot. As for when it's released, I don't know. A few days back the standard info screen PE gives you when you start it up had a blurb about the beta, so I downloaded it.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All hands everyone you play with is transmitted to a central database...think a common PT database all PokerEdge players share.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your source for this?

I have searched for such a quote from PE developers but I haven't been able to find such a statement. Instead, I have found a statement to the effect that they maintain their own farm of datamining machines. I have also observed that players which I have sizeable stats on do not appear in PE database - which may mean nothing, admittedly.

However I'd like to know if there is any proof that PE uses players' own hand histories. I believe there is ANOTHER shared db system which does exactly that.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

However I'd like to know if there is any proof that PE uses players' own hand histories. I believe there is ANOTHER shared db system which does exactly that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the PE FAQ, it looks like they have systems that do the hand history requests. Which is even better than just using PE users hands.

I'm wondering if it actually does both. Well, PE phoning home and saying to add the HH for the game I'm in. I see new stats on players I'm with soon as I hit Update Session. The FAQ says their DB is updated "daily", but that can't be entirely true. If I'm at a table with someone with 0 hands tracked, every time I hit Update Session I see they now have 2/3/4/etc hands tracked which matches the number hands I've played with them.