Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Not a very good play

Also, given what I have said above, the cards Stew had to worry about on the flop were danger cards, not his opponent's actual outs. So he has 5 cards to worry about (all available A/K's), not just the two that will in fact make a set for his opponent.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, given what I have said above, the cards Stew had to worry about on the flop were danger cards, not his opponent's actual outs. So he has 5 cards to worry about (all available A/K's), not just the two that will in fact make a set for his opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't have to worry about these five cards, since he's ahead 60% of the time they flop. Even if he checks and calls he's going to get more money from an opponent betting his bare pair, than he loses to one who flops a higher set.

And since it's a loose game, he's going to get more money from all the other callers as well, all combined are likely to be less than 20% to win the pot, but will end up putting in the majority of the chips.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: Is My Thinking Flawed...Pre-Flop Implied Odds

you think on your feet really quick for a live table. you seem observant of all the factors involved, you had a plan and it worked accordingly. nh.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ace on the flop is more likely to show up if your opponent has KK, than a K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. An A or K on the board actually identifies villain's pair somewhat.

Looks like I'll have to back off from what I said above.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
let's imagine I do flop a set and an A or K hits the board. Do you really think I'm going to play the hand scared that I could be beaten by a higher set? NO, and if anyone does, they are playing scared poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're slowing down if an A or K flops or shows up on the turn AND hes going crazy.

If you have him on AA or KK and one shows up, and hes trying to get everything he can in the pot, it might be a good idea to take the foot off the gas.

I do realize if a K shows up he most likely has AA, vice versa. So in this case I think its pretty important to pay attention to his betting if one of those cards pops up. To just be, "Hey, come on pappy, here comes my 20th raise, you got the cojones to pop me again?"...kind of thinking would be bad, that would be a little reckless. And yes, thats an extreme example, but hopefully u get my point.

As for implied odds preflop, u go in for 2 as long as u can make up 20 you're good, doesnt look like it will be a problem here if you hit. If u hit, its the flop that makes this hand intresting.