Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Reraised ... what to do, what to do.

OK lets just get to the point. What do you do with the following hands:

JJ, QQ, KK, AK
Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 AM

No specific reads as to what his small re-raise means, and I push QQ+ and AKs. I call with JJ and AKo. I think QQ may be a call, but I don't think you can get away from it on a flop with all undercards, so I push it with the pot this big.

As to your above posts on calling with any pair to spike a set -- I kind of agree I think, and I might widen my call range up a bit with medium pairs.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:08 AM

Wow. Would you guys limp a pair hoping to spike a set with 75/150 blinds and a T700 stack? I wouldn't do it if I had position and 3 limpers before me. But here there's one guy all-in and another one showing pretty big strength. And I don't think medium pairs have more value than deuces here.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 AM

Thats not the same thing and you know it.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK lets just get to the point. What do you do with the following hands:

JJ, QQ, KK, AK

[/ QUOTE ]

call, push, push, call... w/out a read.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how is it so different, except that here I think you have even less "set value" because you're OOP and there are less opponents catching something worse? I really don't think you can even dream of playing a hand just hoping to spike a set here. You're probably trying to say that you'll sometimes win the pot otherwise, but with the range I'm putting the villain on (and which you have not disagreed openly with, or have you?) that's just not happening.

I'm not trying to be some kind of a smartass here or anything. I'm tired, I suck at poker and I respect your posts here a lot. I'm just not getting this. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how is it so different, except that here I think you have even less "set value" because you're OOP and there are less opponents catching something worse? I really don't think you can even dream of playing a hand just hoping to spike a set here. You're probably trying to say that you'll sometimes win the pot otherwise, but with the range I'm putting the villain on (and which you have not disagreed openly with, or have you?) that's just not happening.

I'm not trying to be some kind of a smartass here or anything. I'm tired, I suck at poker and I respect your posts here a lot. I'm just not getting this. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well to begin with you pretty much know what you opponent has and you are gonna get payed off most of the time. Plus you are closing the action which is always a plus. I think its pretty close and I may very well be wrong, but this is the type of spot I'm ready to gamble a bit on in order to get a big stack.

I also think the allin player helps us with a hand like TT-JJ (which are pretty much the extent of pairs I would be raising UTG anyway) since if the reraiser is getting frisky with AK or something he might just decide to check it down post flop or he might check down with KK if an A comes giving you a couple more cards to beat him.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:57 AM

Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand your point better now, but I still disagree with you. I don't know if this can be settled for good without simulations or something, but my gut still says so strongly to fold TT here that I don't intend to change my opinion easily.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah theres basically zero hands i like the raise to 140 with.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck is wrong with raising to 140????
Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 AM

With AK, QQ or JJ I call and proceed with caution. Luckily the shorty is all in, so you can give the big meanie credit for most bets post flop.

AA I reraise to the smallest amount that isn't transparent, whatever that is. Maybe all-in.

KK I think I do the same, and I'm ready to go broke with it.