Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 12:48 AM

Default cross post question regarding married couples and kids

I don't know if I'm violating some kind of forum protocol by cross posting this from OOT, so I apologize in advance if I am. I'm curious what people think though and I think this could potentially fall under philosophy. Seems like the psychology forum is more for poker related questions, which don't occur here.

My question is, how many of you know married couples (or are yourselves) thirty and over that neither have kids, nor are trying/have tried to have kids? I'm not sure that I personally know anyone that fits this description, definitely no close friends do. If that's typical, what do you think are the biggest reasons why?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: cross post question regarding married couples and kids

Yes, I know of couples like this. They aren't strange or anything. Just people who value their careers or free time or love to travel or whatever. They just don't buy into the notion that you can't be fulfilled without kids. By the way, I've read research on happiness and people without kids rate their own happiness at the same level as those that have kids.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: cross post question regarding married couples and kids

Those kinds of couples are called DINKs (Double Income No Kids).

Definitely not typical in Hungary. The only one that comes close that I know (out of about 30) is where the dude has kids from a previous marriage and doesn't want any more, but the wife wants kids and is hoping he'll change his mind someday. I know lots who have kids but aren't married, though.