Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Default AQo against a raise

When you're in position with AQo and you're facing a PFR, what's your standard preflop play? Since it depends, answer based on

a) If you have PT/HUD stats, against which types are you 3-betting and which are you folding? i.e., how high does his PFR have to be before you 3-bet?

b) If the raise is in EP and there are no cold-callers

c) If the raise is in EP and there is one cold-caller

d) If the raise is in LMP and there are no cold-callers

e) If the blinds are loose

f) If the blinds are tight

g) If the PFR is unknown
Old 10-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: AQo against a raise

A) If his PFR is in the "normal" range (8-11%) my action depends on his position (EP I'll usually fold, otherwise I'll usually 3-bet). If he's more passive (0-7%), I'm generally folding unless I can get in cheap from a blind. If he's aggressive (12%+) this is an automatic 3-bet.

Actually, "A" pretty much covers B-F, as well. The person doing the raising matters as much or more as where they raised from and/or how many people coldcalled between me.

Against an unknown PFR, I often coldcall if the raise came from EP or MP1, 3-bet if it came from MP2 or later.

If I'm in the blinds, I generally flat call the raise unless it came from MP3 or later, where I 3-bet, or unless the PFR is overaggressive.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:33 PM

ASSUMPTION #1. This is a full ring game.

a. I'm 3 betting any PFR over 10% if its a decent sample (lets say 50+ hands)
b. If your in the CO or Button, you must 3 bet here. You have a very strong heads up hand. However, the more in, the less powerful your hand is. Why give the blinds good pot odds?
c. Ah the fly in the ointment. The cold caller adds complexity here. Is the cold caller a loose/passive? Or is it a TAG? What are the range of hands hte PFRer are going to have here. If you have a loose raiser and a loose caller, probably 3 bet for value here. You have the best hand a good portion of the time. If a rock decides to cold call....he has a much narrower range of hands. Also what you need consider that will a 3 bet get it down to 3 way instead of 4 or 5 way which your call will induce.
d. Again, this is player dependent. If its a rock, I probably muck it. If its a TAG or a looser player, i'm making it 3.
e and f. These issues are variables in the equation but usually only come to play in smaller edge issues. If your blinds are loose, they are going to call with hands you dominate, but at the same time they are going to decrease your chances of winning. If they are tight they are only going to call with hands that you might only have a slight or no edge over (i.e. KQs or TT).

With big offsuit broadways, (AQo, AJo, even ATo), you have great high card strength, but lack in connectedness and suitedness. The less in the pot, the better. Sometimes (for example, if there's two callers), 3 betting is going to be ill advised and sometimes (1 loose raiser+1 loose cold caller) your going to 3 bet for value.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:35 PM

a) raise > 10%
b) raise
c) raise (hardest)
d) raise (easiest)
e) raise
f) raise
g) this depends on villain's position. EP might be a fold, MP & LP easy raise.

after a preflop 3-bet, you're gonna get checked too, and any flop with A, K, or Q you're gold. you bet and see how they react.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:37 PM

I've been wondering this myself, until someone posts something better I do something like this:

a) I think I'd want him to have at least 10% PFR in a 10 handed game to 3 bet an EP raise.

b) Same as above

c) I'm more likely to ditch this unless the PFR is loose with his EP raises and the coldcaller is loose.

d) Default is 3 bet unless he has a real low PFR%

e and f) Doesn't really change my decision much, if the opener is loose enough with his ranges that I'm 3 betting, my hand plays well 3 way or heads up.

g) Fold against an EP raise, reraise against an MP raise.