Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Why can\'t they give good chopsticks?

When you go to most restaurants ( not fast food joints ), say french or italian, you get normal silverware. They don't give you plastic forks, knives and spoons. The quality of course can vary, but you get normal silverware. So why is it that every friggin' chinese restaurant always gives those crappy, break 'em apart, splintery, garbage wooden chopsticks?

They will give you real silverware, but if you want chopsticks -- here are some crappy ones. Why? I mean "real" silverware equivalents exist of chopsticks -- enamel, bone, etc. Why even when you are paying $15 or more a plate, sitting at their table can you not get a decent set of "real" chopsticks?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t they give good chopsticks?

Maybe because people might walk off with them whereas they typically don't walk off with silverware.

Plus, much harder to eat a steak with plastic fork and knife than with the real thing, whereas crappy wooden chopsticks don't significantly affect one's ability to eat.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:23 PM

"I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They're hanging in there with the chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. They're staying with the sticks. I don't know how they missed it. Going out all day on the farm with a shovel. Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people. They're hanging in there with the chopsticks. You know they've seen the fork. They're staying with the sticks. I don't know how they missed it. Going out all day on the farm with a shovel. Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. good choice, good execution.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe because people might walk off with them whereas they typically don't walk off with silverware.

Plus, much harder to eat a steak with plastic fork and knife than with the real thing, whereas crappy wooden chopsticks don't significantly affect one's ability to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a well thought out and reasonable response. Bravo.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:26 PM

And WHAT'S the deal with Chinese people? The last time I checked - "Wang" was not a name.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you have ever eaten w/ decent chopsticks you would know that the eating experience is much improved.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And WHAT'S the deal with Chinese people? The last time I checked - "Wang" was not a name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a break.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:31 PM

I've gotten nice chopsticks in resturants.

I think people stealing them probably is the right answer.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Shovel. Spoon. You're not plowing 50 acres with a couple of pool cues. "

[/ QUOTE ]

When I use a spoon, the purpose isn't to shovel food in my mouth. It might solve our obesity problem if everyone could only eat with chopsticks. Some people would just give up after getting the first few bites in.