Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Kammen\'s book on low limit Stud

Anyone want to comment on Paul Kammen's book on "How to Beat Low-Limit 7-Card Stud?" I am new to Stud and I wanted to get some feedback on what others thought of this book before I go running off and using the advice suggested in it.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Kammen\'s book on low limit Stud

its similiar to WLLH is for holdem, keeps everything very simple and is enough to win in small games, but by no means optimal, a great introduction and worth reading before you first play, but you quickly want to get 7 card stud for advanced players as kammens book doesnt go into as much depth, either on advanced play or on optimum play in loose games.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 AM

I stopped reading the book after I read him say that he's only had rolled up trips a few times in his life. To me, this means that I have played a lot more hands than him, and may even be more qualified to write a book on stud.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading the book after I read him say that he's only had rolled up trips a few times in his life. To me, this means that I have played a lot more hands than him, and may even be more qualified to write a book on stud.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I got rolled up trips playing for one hour today. I asked Andy B. about this book (the moderator in the stud forum) and he said he didn't read it, but Mason was "less than complimentary" of the book. When I heard that I decided not to buy it. It sounds alot like Adam's book to me. Most people seem to see West's book as the best beginners book for stud. However, 7CSFAP is a must read along with TOP and maybe SSI for more on stud.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but Mason was "less than complimentary" of the book

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read this book and have never commented on it.

MM
Old 08-14-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read Kammen. I actually saw it for the first time at a bookstore not too long ago. Recently, I've bought HOH2, Big Deal, Greenstein's book, and the Stuey Ungar book, so I wasn't exactly jonesin' to buy another poker book. Moneymaker's book is probably next on my list. The how-to books just aren't as much fun.

Anyway, it seems to me that Mason was less-than-complimentary of Kammen's book.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I heard in the stud forum when I asked Andy about it. Hmmm...maybe I should take a look at it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 AM

I read it. It is quite a good intro to stud. He also has a stud8 book in ebook format that is very good.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM

My apologies to both Mason and Paul Kammen.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My apologies to both Mason and Paul Kammen.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sorry if I got you in trouble with the people. I really respect what you say in the stud forum and I'm sure you just misunderstood something.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 PM

No one got in trouble. I haven't heard from either of them (Kammen has posted some on this board in the past). I just happened to stumble upon this thread. I must have imposed something that Mason said about some other book (and I'm not going to speculate which [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) onto Kammen's.