Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Killer Poker

Maybe I missed the thread on this one, but I absolutely LOVE this book. Am I missing something? Is this book going to lead me astray?

The guy is an amazing writer. His techniques and approach to the game just seem to be right on the money. I love the fact that he talks about how it doesnt matter how many starting hands or odds you memorize - if you are not playing post flop aggression you will not win in the long run.

GREAT book. Any comments?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Killer Poker

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I missed the thread on this one, but I absolutely LOVE this book. Am I missing something? Is this book going to lead me astray?

The guy is an amazing writer. His techniques and approach to the game just seem to be right on the money. I love the fact that he talks about how it doesnt matter how many starting hands or odds you memorize - if you are not playing post flop aggression you will not win in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reviewer has described this book as "Rocks & Rings." I can think of no higher honor.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Default My Review

Killer Poker; Strategies and Tactics for Winning Play (4) by John Vorhaus. Even though this book is written in a very entertaining style, I only felt a moderate amount of the material had real value. Much of the book is a lecture on play your best, stay off tilt, and review your play. But very little is specific enough to lead any reader in any direction. Also, strategies like distract your opponents by talking to them, yell at the football game, and make fake angry phone calls on your cell phone might have a little bit of value if you already play very well, but again I didn’t see much that would lead you towards that goal. In fact, you might discover that following advice like this might “worsify” your game.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One reviewer has described this book as "Rocks & Rings." I can think of no higher honor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Now I am just embarassed. Still like the book though.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: My Review

I disagree a little here, Mason. I take his goofy antics with a grain of salt, but I like the real meat of his strategy. Not a lot of analytical stuff, but I get a little tired of reading just the math theories of poker. I think this book has a lot of good mental aproaches to the game.

That's just me.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM

I remember the author recommeded that you raise 5 hands in a row (regardless what you hold) to intimidate your opponents. Why don't you try it to see if your opponents get intimidated?.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the author recommeded that you raise 5 hands in a row (regardless what you hold) to intimidate your opponents. Why don't you try it to see if your opponents get intimidated?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you read my reply to Mason and quit asking me stupid questions. Now - I believe I said I take his goofy antics with a grain of salt.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, since Vorhaus ghostwrites Antonio's stuff, he called his own book "rocks and rings".

Not to mention he is the one responsible for first putting that term into print.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, since Vorhaus ghostwrites Antonio's stuff, he called his own book "rocks and rings".

Not to mention he is the one responsible for first putting that term into print.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:08 PM

I played with the author for about 3 hours at the Bellagio's 2-5 NL game earlier this year. He sat on my right the entire time and would not stop talking about himself (and his book "Killer Poker"). His play seemed average to me and he readily admited that he's a better writer than player. So, I put a few dollars in his pocket and bought his book because I just had to know ... it's an entertaining read and he is a good writer, but, I agree with Mason on the value of the advice contained in it.