Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Hello,Betty! The NEXT hand U raise with QT...Hmmm..

Quote "What convinces U that U will NOT beat AA the NEXT TIME???
UNLESS U can accurately predict the outcome of the cards,U REALLY do NOT know,do U?
Hmmm"
Of coure I don't know but the odds don't change, Q 10 is still a 4-1 dog. It's a 4-1 dog regardless of what happened to Q 10 earlier.
My whole point which has already been stated, is that these are independent events, just like the probablity of rolling a seven in craps doesn't change if I flip a coin and it comes up tails.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Hello,Betty! The NEXT hand U raise with QT...Hmmm..

[ QUOTE ]
Quote "What convinces U that U will NOT beat AA the NEXT TIME???
UNLESS U can accurately predict the outcome of the cards,U REALLY do NOT know,do U?
Hmmm"
Of coure I don't know but the odds don't change, Q 10 is still a 4-1 dog. It's a 4-1 dog regardless of what happened to Q 10 earlier.
My whole point which has already been stated, is that these are independent events, just like the probablity of rolling a seven in craps doesn't change if I flip a coin and it comes up tails.

[/ QUOTE ]

subsequent poker hands aren't necessarily independent, though. the CARDS are independent, but the way you play or the way your opponents play may change from hand to hand based on what has happened in the prior hand. for example, if you are "running cold" you may tilt and then your chances of winning a hand absolutely depends on how much luck you've had in prior hands.

the OP is subject to interpretation.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Hello! The chances of winning any given...

[ QUOTE ]
hand in a no-limit hold'em tournament game is dependent on whether U are running lucky or not for that given hand.
Does anyone agree with this statement?
SittingBull

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, lots of people agree with this statement.

None of them are right.

There's no such thing as luck, it is merely a label applied by humans to the vicissitudes of life much like this post is merely an excuse to use the word "vicissitudes."
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Hello! The chances of winning any given...

Not sure what the author of this post is trying to attain from asking this question but here is my two cents.

Of course luck/variance is a factor in every single hand or any given hand as you put it. But it's what you do with that luck or lack of luck that decides whether you win or lose. I don't know what you mean by "running lucky". Do you mean you get a great starting hand preflop or that you hit the nuts on the flop? Your question is relative.

If your saying the person who wins any given hand in a poker tournament is the luckiest of all the players who played that particular hand I would have to strongly disagree. People get lucky with great starting hands and hit their flops but still fold to other players who have absolutely nothing and decided to make their own luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Hello,again! Letyoudown and Chris Ferguson seem to...

You only quoted half of what Jesus Ferguson said in that interview and in other interviews when asked the same question. Ferguson stated that on average poker is 75% luck and 25% skill. But on any given hand it could be 99% luck and 1% skill or it could be 99% skill and 1% luck. Congrats to Jesus on that WSOP circuit win...quad Aces!!!!