Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM

Default boat fold from a SH rookie

I'm a grizzled veteran of full ring, but I've only logged about 3k hands in 6-max, and although my stats are pretty good, i'm still feeling pretty rough.

Hand 1. Over only about 15 hands,, villain is moderately loose-passive. I'd estimate about a 30 VP$IP. Limps a lot of Ax suited, pocket pairs, but also some ugly broadways (JTo from MP with no limpers in front). Earlier limped with A4s, flop came AKx, and he called down bets on all streets, and won the pot. He hasn't raised PF yet and hasn't raised anyone's bet either, but did bet once with top pair on a flop that was checked to him, then check/called through.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

I'm pretty sure the turn check behind was bad. I think I feared his Ax or Q crap calling down too much. Couldn't tell if he would call on a gutshot or not. I figured he was passive enough that we might check the whole hand through. If I bet the turn and he calls, do I check behind on the river? I see no value in a value bet; he wouldn't call down K high.

After the turn check, I think the river fold was easy. But maybe I'm way off.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: boat fold from a SH rookie

i bet that turn most of the time. the few times I dont, its because I want to induce a bluff, and I call the river.

you induced a bluff. Even the most passive of players will bluff the river when you tell them you don't like your hand on the turn. don't induce if you arent willing to call it.

just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM

I wouldn't check the turn, but since you did, im calling the bet on the end.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM

I'd probably betting the turn some of the time. If you check here, you're giving up without a J. I don't mind the line you took given you're read.