Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Fold my flush?

5-handed, MP is 34/15/1.89
He looks solid, straightforward.
CO is unknown.

MP raises, CO coldcalls, SB calls, and I also call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB (bad?)

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to PFR MP, who bets, CO calls, SB calls, I raise, MP calls, CO calls, SB calls

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, MP calls, CO calls, SB calls

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, MP raises, CO 3-bets, SB folds, ...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Fold my flush?

I can't fold this here. It could be Qx and it's unlikely to be a flush or a boat if they're straightforward, and it could still be a straight if they like to slowplay. The pot is pretty big. I call and hope for the best.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:12 PM

I fold 92s there preflop.

Flop is fine due to the position of the PFR and SB and CO both deciding to come along.

Turn is good.

What are you fearing on the river? If anyone had two pair or a set before, shouldn't you have heard from them already? It would seem MP and CO both have a Q unlikely as that may seem. QJ for CO and AQ for MP perhaps. I call, and call the cap.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 PM

I call. I'd put MP and CO on a draw, considering how they are betting. They would have bet out on the turn with the flush, but the Q on the river may have given one of them the boat and you are dead. Still, that's a pretty good sized pot. It's worth the call to see the hands.

Keep in mind that I'm still pretty green compared to most here, so you should probably do the opposite of whatever I think is a good idea.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:18 PM

I'd say call it. Your flop/turn play looks like top pair to them. MP has a Q, a boat maybe half the time. CO is worrisome, but I think you will be good at least 1/4 of the time here.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 PM

Don't fold. You could have trip Queens and a Straight betting like that on the river.

I'd probalby fold preflop. I think I want at least K2s or T9s to call.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:17 PM

I would fold this preflop.

Best I can figure is MP looks like AQ since he didn't 3-bet the flop or raise the turn, which I think KQ would often do at least one of the 2.

Since CO is completely unknown you can probably call here on the off chance that he overplays something like QJ or a worse flush here.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM

No one mentioned the flop.

I think you're much better off check-calling here. Yes, you have 3 callers so arguably you have more than enough equity to raise for value; however, when you raise a couple of things happen (or can happen) that I believe reduces the overall EV of the flop line. First, some one could fold to the raise taking away the equity advantage you thought your raise had. Second, you act first (or second) on the turn, and a non-[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is going to fall 4 out of 5 times, and when that happens you are either semi-bluffing into 3 players (or less if someone folded the flop) or you are checking and playing your cards face up. And when a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] does fall that 1 in 5 times, you're missing the opportunity to C/R the field with the PFR and flop bettor sitting immediately to your left.

When you're first to act with the natural aggressor to your left in a field just large enough to justify the raise and holding a low flush with two overs (broadways) in a raised pot, I think you're better off going with ck-cl and looking to trap if you make your hand. I think the combination that you are (1) better able to get more bets in with substantially higher equity but (2) miss exploiting the smaller equity edge available on the flop, works out to be a net positive in favor of ck-calling.