Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Is there anyone living you would pay $16k to eat lunch with?

I saw some blurb on ESPN about a guy paying more than $16K to have lunch with the old Redsox GM. I think this is crazy myself (i'm sure its going to charity so I guess that makes it better)

I was trying to think of anyone living today that I would spend $16k to have a one on one lunch with. I'm having a hard time because I don't really see it being that great of an experience. Sure it would be awesome to be able to completely pick someone's brain or develope sometype of networking or friendship with them. But I just don't see either of these things happening in these situations. Rather I think you get 45 minutes of small talk and a handshake.

The closest I can come up with is perhaps with an author I really like? I think the chances of having a really interesting conversation are at least decent and he/she probably wouldn't be so famous as to be completely unable to relate to you.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Is there anyone living you would pay $16k to eat lunch with?

i think lunch with Kurt Vonnegut might be worth 16k

or Igmar Bergman. if Kieslowski was still alive, then he'd definitely be worth it.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think lunch with Kurt Vonnegut might be worth 16k

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, Hell no.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Haruki Murakami or Salman Rushdie
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw some blurb on ESPN about a guy paying more than $16K to have lunch with the old Redsox GM. I think this is crazy myself (i'm sure its going to charity so I guess that makes it better)

I was trying to think of anyone living today that I would spend $16k to have a one on one lunch with. I'm having a hard time because I don't really see it being that great of an experience. Sure it would be awesome to be able to completely pick someone's brain or develope sometype of networking or friendship with them. But I just don't see either of these things happening in these situations. Rather I think you get 45 minutes of small talk and a handshake.

The closest I can come up with is perhaps with an author I really like? I think the chances of having a really interesting conversation are at least decent and he/she probably wouldn't be so famous as to be completely unable to relate to you.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate to bring math and logic into OOT but the utility of money is less for those with more and more for those with less.

lets say the person in question paid 16k out of his 16million avaiable wealth. thats 0.1% of his wealth.

now lets say your avaialbe wealth is 20k. so now, is it worth $20.00 to you to have lunch w/ the GM guy?

-Barron
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

I wouldn't pay $16K to EAT them.

But how much for a foot?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate to bring math and logic into OOT but the utility of money is less for those with more and more for those with less.

lets say the person in question paid 16k out of his 16million avaiable wealth. thats 0.1% of his wealth.

now lets say your avaialbe wealth is 20k. so now, is it worth $20.00 to you to have lunch w/ the GM guy?

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to take this line, at least be right. $20 to the guy with $20k is not the same as $16k to the guy with $16M.

A better move would be to just not answer the question this way.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 PM

well this is pretty misleading, because the proceeds went to charity.

if I'm already giving 16k to charity anyways, I would change who I gave it to in order to have lunch with a lot of interesting people..
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would consider keira knightley, if the lunch was her ass
Old 12-19-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to take this line, at least be right. $20 to the guy with $20k is not the same as $16k to the guy with $16M.

A better move would be to just not answer the question this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL