Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Raised So You Can\'t Play

You're in an online game with a good hand, say AQo, in late position. You tell yourself that you are going to raise pre-flop unless the guy on your immediate right who is a super rock raises. In this case, you will fold.

So, you wait and then the super rock raises. You fold.

Immediately after this sequence of events, are you more likely to:

a) Be slightly pissed that you got a good hand, but you can't play it.

b) Be happy the super rock is on your right, which saved you money against his AK, AA, KK, QQ.

c) Total indifference.

-RMJ
Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Raised So You Can\'t Play

Actually, this comment is for another forum, but you should be 3-betting here. Even rocks will open up their raising standards in late position to try to take the blinds. I'm going to three bets here every time. Now if the rock raises UTG, you can correctly fold your AQ.

BTW, in the scenario described, I'd be totally indifferent. There's another hand coming in about 60 seconds or so.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 PM

Well, in no limit this can be a fold

Anyway, if I fold this because the raiser probably has me crushed, I feel good, because I just won a lot of Sklansky Bucks. Lot of other players will lose lots in this spot, but not me baby!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, this comment is for another forum, but you should be 3-betting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, perhaps my choice of a "good" hand was wrong. Say it was AJo or KTs.

I didn't intend for this to be a poker question... but more of a psychological one. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, dang, I've been card dead for a while and when I get a hand I can play I can't. Ugh.

Doesn't affect me much more than the slight frustration, but I was curious if others react similarly.

-RMJ
Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c) Total indifference.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this bothers you, playing an extra table might be beneficial.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Generally I am really happy about the raise and satisified I can lay the hand down without a second thought. Rock takes blinds, next hand please. You should not feel you are throwing away good cards that you are not getting a chance to put into play.

You should be happy rock ran up a flag telling you your hand is second best. Tell that rock he/she did a good job of pushing you off the pot. This is rock behavior you want to reinforce as it saves you many chips.

Either rock will continue to do this with his/her big hands or (rarely) the rock will get out of line which puts you at an advantage if you are holding a big pair pf.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM

d) All of the above.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't intend for this to be a poker question... but more of a psychological one. Sometimes I catch myself thinking, dang, I've been card dead for a while and when I get a hand I can play I can't. Ugh.

Doesn't affect me much more than the slight frustration, but I was curious if others react similarly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should congratulate yourself every time you make the correct play, especially if it will help you stay focused. There is no need to be frustrated, remember that it is not just the hands that we play, but the hands that we do not play that make us the players that we are. A bet saved is money in your pocket.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel good, because I just won a lot of Sklansky Bucks. Lot of other players will lose lots in this spot, but not me baby!I can dodge bullets baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-01-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're in an online game with a good hand, say AQo, in late position. You tell yourself that you are going to raise pre-flop unless the guy on your immediate right who is a super rock raises. In this case, you will fold.

So, you wait and then the super rock raises. You fold.

Immediately after this sequence of events, are you more likely to:

a) Be slightly pissed that you got a good hand, but you can't play it.

b) Be happy the super rock is on your right, which saved you money against his AK, AA, KK, QQ.

c) Total indifference.

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

This falls into the same category as getting a hand UTG that would be playable only on the button, and properly folding it. One should not be any more dramatic than the other. As such, it is rightly in psych. Having emotions about a play that is clearly correct is -EV. (Assuming the play is correct, of course.)