Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 AM

Default The worst hand I\'ve ever played

Sort of a ripoff of the stupid WSOP segment, but this is better.

Tonight I was playing live 4-8 and I open raised with AK from UTG. A few people called, I was out of position.

The flop is J-10-8 rainbow, I bet, 2 callers, button raises, I call, the other 2 call.
Turn is some blank. It goes check, check, check, bet, I call, one fold, and one call. At this point I'm thinking I need a 10 for the straight.
River- 10. I check, check, bet, I check raise with my "straight." Right after I made this raise I realized my mistake. They both call after some deliberation. I muck my hand, rack up my chips and leave.

The moral of this story is: Don't play when you aren't focused. My mind was not on poker tonight, and I should never have played.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: The worst hand I\'ve ever played

Yea, no kidding. One time I was playing in A/C at a 4/8 table. For the life of me, I don't know why I played this hand the way I did. I didn't have sh!t for 2 hrs when I got this hand. I had J-2o in the big blind. The flop comes J-J-K. I check planning on check-raising. No one bets. The turn comes a 9. So I bet. 2 call. The river is a 5. I check hoping to raise. The button raises. I re-raise. The 3rd player folds and the botton raises again. In my mind, I had convinced myself that since it had been so long since I had a good hand, I must therefore have the best hand. So I raise again. The button raises. I think he is just trying to intimidate me. So I raise again. He comes over the top again. At this point, the brainwaves finally connect and I just call. He turns over J-K and has a full house. I lost almost 3/4 of my money on that hand. I was pissed, but I learned my lesson.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, no kidding. One time I was playing in A/C at a 4/8 table. For the life of me, I don't know why I played this hand the way I did. I didn't have sh!t for 2 hrs when I got this hand. I had J-2o in the big blind. The flop comes J-J-K. I check planning on check-raising. No one bets. The turn comes a 9. So I bet. 2 call. The river is a 5. I check hoping to raise. The button raises. I re-raise. The 3rd player folds and the botton raises again. In my mind, I had convinced myself that since it had been so long since I had a good hand, I must therefore have the best hand. So I raise again. The button raises. I think he is just trying to intimidate me. So I raise again. He comes over the top again. At this point, the brainwaves finally connect and I just call. He turns over J-K and has a full house. I lost almost 3/4 of my money on that hand. I was pissed, but I learned my lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a brilliant play compared to mine. Lol.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 AM

On a board of 9TQKQ I made a big river bet thinking the river card was a jack that put a straight on the board, and I was trying to represent the ace. Based on the way I had played the hand, it would have been very reasonable for me to hold an ace in my hand. I was also highly confident my opponent did not hold one. My opponent mucked, and I collected the pot and patted myself on the back for such a good play, since I only had a pair of nines.

Then I looked at the board. Oops! Worked out well though.

My point is, this stuff happens all the time. I was very focused during that game, I just made a bad error. Don't sweat it.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 AM

At the tail end of a very very long session... I have A9s. I river the flush, but it puts a pair on the board. So, I only call the 3-bet.

My opponent, who also has been playing a very very long time and is half asleep says, King high flush. Tables his hand, but hah, the cards weren't suited. So he has no flush.

I proudly flip over my hand, and say, Ace flush, the real one. Turns out they were the wrong suit... doh! Ace high takes the pot.

Yep, I won, but talk about badly played... happened at Bay101 maybe 4 years ago at a 3/6 table.

-RMJ
Old 10-25-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a brilliant play compared to mine. Lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but my point is we all have our brain farts. We see a good hand for the first time in a long time and think it's the best. We get to agressive and learn the hard way. Let me put it this way.I am glad I learned that lesson at a 4/8 game than learning it at a 20/40 game!