Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 08-28-2005, 07:36 PM

Default King Yao\'s thoughts on Poker/Trading skill overlap

Quote from the about the author section of King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold'Em Poker...

[ QUOTE ]
After college I found the perfect job for me. A trading job at Susquehanna Partners, which actually uses Poker as part of its training program. Successfully trading derivatives on the exchange floor called for an understanding of math, assessing risk, and reading the opponents (brokers, other trader and customers). The traders often played poker after a full day of trading. It soon became clear to me that the same skill set was required in poker and derivatives trading. I was doing well at both. After eight years, I had accumulated a wide range of trading experiences. I had been a market maker in index equity options, currency options and commodity options. I was also involved with Susquehanna's proprietary hedge fund in mortgage derivatives. Looking back, my trading career was varied and interesting. I was able to go in-depth into many different fields. It was a good training ground for making money gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts??
Old 08-28-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: King Yao\'s thoughts on Poker/Trading skill overlap

I work for Susq. Everything he says there is accurate.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 AM

what do you need to get an entry level job there?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you need to get an entry level job there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I cant tell you how to get in, but I can tell you how to get kicked out....go in and say this....

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

Bingo
Old 08-31-2005, 01:10 PM

Having read what you said, I've always considered disclosing my gambling career to employers but it definetly seems very risky, depending on their disposition. What do you guys think? One financial advisor told me not to because of obvious reasons.

I've been successful at poker for the past 3 years, started when I was 17. Pays for tuition. I have also been successful with sportsbetting with 1000% return in the last year.

I'm a 3rd year finance student University of Toronto (argueably most notable in Canada) looking to get into the investment industry. My marks are only average, and I feel that my only options are: stockbroker or working in mutual funds. I'm considering to move to Las Vegas or New York

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having read what you said, I've always considered disclosing my gambling career to employers but it definetly seems very risky, depending on their disposition. What do you guys think? One financial advisor told me not to because of obvious reasons.

I've been successful at poker for the past 3 years, started when I was 17 paying for tuition. I have also been successful with sportsbetting with 1000% return in the last year.

I'm a 3rd year finance student University of Toronto (argueably most notable in Canada) looking to get into the investment industry. My marks are only average, and I feel that my only options are: stockbroker or working in mutual funds. I'm considering to move to Las Vegas or New York

Any advice is much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stockbroker? Why not try and get a trading job instead?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:34 PM

Hahaha, ya stockbroker sure sucks. Not sure I'd get hired in trading that was why. I'm sure I'll be sending out resumes none the less.

Hey I always wondered, if the nyse goes electronic with that archipelago thing, what will the traders do? Wouldn't they no longer be needed?

Another question, if I work out west, wouldn't I have to get up at approx 4 a.m. to see all the news before the premarket opens at 8a.m. in new york?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey I always wondered, if the nyse goes electronic with that archipelago thing, what will the traders do? Wouldn't they no longer be needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what sort of trading jobs you think there are that would care about this. Derivatives traders would prefer the NYSE was electronic in general.
If you worked in California, you would indeed have to wake up early, but you would be out of work damn early too.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:19 PM

Aren't the traders at the NYSE stock exchange buying stocks for other people? If the thing goes electronic I was thinking those people wouldn't be needed nomore because the electronic system would just match buyers and sellers. Or maybe that's not how it works?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the traders at the NYSE stock exchange buying stocks for other people? If the thing goes electronic I was thinking those people wouldn't be needed nomore because the electronic system would just match buyers and sellers. Or maybe that's not how it works?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are brokers, not traders.