Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Default How to play like a SAG? (super-aggressive)

Since I'm destroyed by good SAGs so often, I thought it might be educational to learn to play like one, so I can see into their game better. So, are there any articles or posts on how to play like a SAG ? All the poker books describe basic tight/aggressive play.

My basic idea for playing SAG goes like this : open raise any two, raise behind limpers most of the time with any two, if people start open-raising a lot, then frequently call raises or reraise with any two, but don't call a raise and reraise. Always bet continuation on the flop, and generally always bet any time it's checked around and/or everyone shows weakness. Call bets with draws, and then attack hard if they show weakness. Show down any middle pair or better. Generally fold only if they show real strength, eg. calling multiple streets or reraising.

Basically win all the small pots by taking them, fold the medium pots where they play back, and win the big pots when I actually have a hand.

Does anyone here play SAG?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: How to play like a SAG? (super-aggressive)

bet bet bet. I do HU but I go on tilt when I play like that, I have LAG works better that SAG. A good defense against sags is to just call them down with TP type hands and have a large bankroll.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 PM

How about just good LAG play? Any articles or posts on that?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 AM

That sounds like a great way to leak money!

If you're playing a very aggressive style, you have to be a very good hand reader in order to be successful.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm destroyed by good SAGs so often, I thought it might be educational to learn to play like one, so I can see into their game better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much aggression is easily exploitable. You're better off learning how to counter the SAG strategy.

Hand ranges is one of the biggest keys.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Yeah, I know this is all true, but as I said 1) I want to know how to play SAG so that I can better defeat them, and 2) it would be a powerful thing to be able to change gears to once in a while, and 3) I've seen SAGs really tilt the fishes and make huge profits. A good SAG is not just mindlessly aggressive, he can dodge paying off big hands, and yet get paid off on his big hands. Yes, it's pretty easy to exploit, but that's not the point.

I know there are people here who play very aggressive LAG at times. No guides?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:12 PM

I like your basic idea except open raising any two or raising behind limpers with any two. Be a little more selective on your hand range and everything else looks good.

Since nobody is likely to give you the info, trial and error with slightly better hands until you get the feel for it will work best.

I like your idea and am slowly implementing it more and more as I clean up other aspects of my game.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm destroyed by good SAGs so often, I thought it might be educational to learn to play like one, so I can see into their game better. So, are there any articles or posts on how to play like a SAG ? All the poker books describe basic tight/aggressive play.

My basic idea for playing SAG goes like this : open raise any two, raise behind limpers most of the time with any two, if people start open-raising a lot, then frequently call raises or reraise with any two, but don't call a raise and reraise. Always bet continuation on the flop, and generally always bet any time it's checked around and/or everyone shows weakness. Call bets with draws, and then attack hard if they show weakness. Show down any middle pair or better. Generally fold only if they show real strength, eg. calling multiple streets or reraising.

Basically win all the small pots by taking them, fold the medium pots where they play back, and win the big pots when I actually have a hand.

Does anyone here play SAG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm confused by the term "SAG". Aggression is defined by the number of times you bet,raise divided by the number of times you call. Therefore aggression itself can be high just by making a minraise at every opportunity.

Real aggression is the style played by Brunson. Every player at the table knows when Brunson is in the hand that he may put you in for all your chips - go to the felt - at any time. Of course aggression is totally separate from the terms "tight" and "loose".

All good players are at least selectively aggressive. They attack weak plays and weak players. I'd advise you to stick to this style until you master the pre- and post flop play that is required.

Above all, study and learn. How do good players at your table play against this "SAG"? How do strong players take advantage of position? My personal rule is to keep this player on my right so he'll be shoving money into the pot in front of me, so I can take advantage of position.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 PM

If you want to play "SAG" i suggest you drop down a few limits and start raising every pot and find ways to blow players off their hands postflop. You will probably lose some at first but you'll learn what works and what doesnt.

Also, if anyone is good enough to win as a "SAG" they are good enough to win as a TAG or LAG because of their hand reading skills.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to play "SAG" i suggest you drop down a few limits and start raising every pot and find ways to blow players off their hands postflop. You will probably lose some at first but you'll learn what works and what doesnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. Find a nitty 100NL table during the day, otherwise you are just going to get called down [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]