Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: first hand of single-table 10

He is betting as though he has an overpair, but in an 11, I'm less likely to believe he has AA-JJ (he's representing AA/KK) than some random holding like 44 he thinks is the nuts.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are aware that this is a 10+1? And that you just made a read based on the villain's "betting pattern"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is the reason you don't raise with TT. If you can't get away from TT against this action, then you should just limp.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea. You will get too many callers and you end up playing for set value, just at a higher price than if you limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also recommend doing the same with JJ early in $11-$22. If you want to raise people out of the pot (to win what, t25?) - raise 125-175. However, best play is - limp, fold if raised, fold if miss the set.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to raise people out of the pot (to win what, t25?) - raise 125-175.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is not to raise everyone out of the pot, but rather to narrow down the field to a single opponent. When you do this you can profitably bet many flops because 2/3 of the time the flop will miss villain. I am not advocating this play in this spot, I'm just explaining the logic of the raise. It's an important distinction. In one case, you are trying to steal the blinds. In the other, you are generating a pot worth stealing on the flop by picking up (hopefully!) one and only one calller.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM

First hand with TT, I generally raise about 30 percent of the time and limp 70 percent. They don't generally pay off unless you hit a sneaky set.

After that flop, I don't know about your reraise, but most of all, I hate your all-in call. I am more than happy to let <t100 go and wait for a better spot than to blow my stack on a pocket pair with a scary board. Between the PF raises and the post-flop show of strength, I'm afraid of a flopped set or a better pair.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are generating a pot worth stealing on the flop by picking up (hopefully!) one and only one calller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not advocating this play either. I'm also not going to try and pick up some chips on such a bluff this early on. Plus, it doesn't always work - earlier today I raised t125 with AQs in MP2 (in $22 SnG) and got 4 callers...