Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 08:37 AM

Default 2 NL400 hands, I play same line with same hand

6max. I'm 30/15 in this particular game I am not out of line much as only a few orbits. Villian in hand 1 is unknown and has a large stack. Villian in hand 2 at first seems wacky and tricky, but as yet I have not seen him raise postflop without a hand.

1) I'm sb with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I have 400 or so.

Villian 1 raises to 16 (utg+1), button calls, I reraise to 60, villian 1 drops, button calls.

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I bet 95 into 140, villian calls.

Turn 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot = 330), I push for 250 or so.

Button called and lost the hand, yummy, my KK was tabled.

ok, hand 2, exactly 6 hands later, effective stacks 850

Villian 1 opens (utg+1) to 16, button calls, I make it 60 again with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Villian 1 calls quickly, button drops.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 95 into 140 again (i want it to look like im trying to represent KK again), villian 1 minraises me, (at this point I have 650 behind and he covers), your play and reasoning? (if you call provide plan for turn/river)
Old 12-26-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: 2 NL400 hands, I play same line with same hand

Reraise to 450 leaving yourself about 300 and call his all in. His UTG raise doesn't mean much and his flop raise could be a set or AA but I think you'll have him beat most of the time. The only problem with reraising the flop is that you're pretty much only getting called by a better hand at his point, however I feel like this bet is more of a protection bet against one pair, TJ or a pocket pair. Alternatively you could just call the flop and check call it down but this will leave you facing a big river bet when he hits two pair which could easily be a bluff. Anyways, what happened?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:30 PM

For hand 2, without a better read, raising from UTG and then calling a large reraise from OOP is usually AA-JJ, possibly AKs.

You reraised an UTG raiser preflop, making a solid PP reasonable for you.

For him to reopen the action OOP doesn't look like AK, JJ.

Without a better read on villain I probably let this go.

For those who are going say this is weak. Given the read on villain and this action, please explain what likely hands are you beating.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For him to reopen the action doesn't look like AK, JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edited to remove OOP.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Results:

Ok so not that interesting. In the hand I called the minraise although I was feeling sick about it and check folded to his pot sized bet on the turn.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM

Miniraise, assuming you have the best hand, seems like he is testing the waters this time, trying to play conservative with his hand and try to get a read to see if you really do have "KK" or "AA." Now, there is a small chance he is trying to trap by getting you to think this, but with KK on this board, you're gonna lose if he has AA or a set. So, away we go...

Best option is to push now and hope that it looks like you are trying to really represent the Kings again; he probably calls with AQ. I think this is a fine option, better than a probe raise, which may be a little too conspicuous.

Or, you can just call, and assuming the turn is not a scare card, bet 2/3 the pot. Maybe he will think you have JJ here and push.

Your only mega-problem card is an A. I'm not sure what you would do here. Probably bet the pot, if he raises all in now, I'm probably making a crying fold.

Argun
Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Miniraise, assuming you have the best hand, seems like he is testing the waters this time, trying to play conservative with his hand and try to get a read to see if you really do have "KK" or "AA."

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't look like he's testing the waters to me. It looks like he is trying to get it in the middle.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Well, yeah, accept that he just got burnt before by just cold calling twice. It's entirely possible that he's a bit tilty here. I think a strong re-raise here is appropriate. I'll amend my first analysis and lean away from pushing.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Don't know if I'd have time to think this up on the fly, but my first instinct is:

I like that you're trying to represent KK again...that being said, he ISN'T going to give you credit for KK no matter what you do, because you just had it. I think if you reraise you are letting him off too easy when you are ahead. From your previous encounter, he probably respects you, and might even be able to let go of an AQ type hand.

Check and call him. Let him think he's ahead. That way, you won't blow him off a worse hand on the flop, he'll probably bet worse hands on the turn (again AQ, etc), and if he's min-raising you with a better hand, in my experience, people who min-raise with sets, don't always bet them aggressively enough to double themselves up when opponent is willing to do so. And you'll save money by check-calling rather than reraising.