Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 AM

Default T9o River

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

River villain is 50/15/1.2 after about 50 hands. Nothing crazy so far. PFR raises about 40% preflop, which is why I called.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, SB folds, Hero...

I was pretty confused as to what to do on that river.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: T9o River

You're getting 13 to 1 odds meaning you have to be good only about 7% of the time.

You don't really have much information to narrow down his hand range, as he is very loose and called all the way to the river. He could have J9 or some weird two-pair combo, or he could be bluffing. It's tough to say what it is and to put some numbers onto his bluffing frequency without a detailed read.

Given the information presented however I think a call is best, just because of your pot odds.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:14 AM

I would call. Everyone else has folded. When Villain bet, he could reasonably assume SB would fold leaving just you and him. The odds he has the obvious draw that just came in are reduced because you have a 9. I think you're beat a lot here but this guy isn't any good PF which makes him significantly more likely to pull weird, strange bluffs. You’re getting a big price here too.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:24 AM

i'd fold, i can't see him having anything you beat
Old 12-27-2005, 02:28 AM

I really want to say call since the pot is big. I also think that I would almost always call here while playing. That being said, I think folding might be the right move. What could he possibly have here that we beat? He doesn't seem laggy enough for the bluff-raise on the river.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting 13 to 1 odds meaning you have to be good only about 7% of the time.

You don't really have much information to narrow down his hand range, as he is very loose and called all the way to the river. He could have J9 or some weird two-pair combo, or he could be bluffing. It's tough to say what it is and to put some numbers onto his bluffing frequency without a detailed read.

Given the information presented however I think a call is best, just because of your pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am pretty sure villain has a set a good percentage of the time. the turn is a pretty commonplay at 3/6 since there are 4 people in the hand. it seems obvious that a bad player would think that just calling the turn and hoping to get another bet from the person behind him is better than raising.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am pretty sure villain has a set a good percentage of the time. the turn is a pretty commonplay at 3/6 since there are 4 people in the hand. it seems obvious that a bad player would think that just calling the turn and hoping to get another bet from the person behind him is better than raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure a set is possible as well. It just isn't nearly as likely I don't think.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:33 AM

well, you are loosing to a set just as much as you are losing to a Q or two pair, and it doesn't matter since we are definitely not raising. my point is, the villain is rather likely to be slowplaying on the turn, which means we were almost dead most of the time (say 75%), or his overcards outdrew us. i don't know what's the right play, a fold or a call. but i have a feeling i'd fold (actually i'd call because i suck), and even if a call is correct, than a fold is a very close second.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:45 AM

I fold, I don't imagine you're good here...ever.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:45 AM

I call. Chances are you are not good here but you are getting 13-1 on your call. If he raises with something we beat 5% of the time and bluffs 3% of the time then this call is good.