Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 06:18 AM

Default This felt bad

UTG 34/14/0.95
Button 55/7/0.44, very fishy player who likes to chase

UTG opens, I raise Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP, Button coldcalls 3, UTG calls

9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I bet, Button calls, UTG calls

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I check, Button bets, UTG calls, I call

8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I call, ...
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: This felt bad

no reason to think that button has that nine or a King. He cold called 3 and that to me spells pp or AK. But he'll check through the pp, I'm afraid. And if he raises you then you can fold the river UI, loosing the same 2 bb as you would if he just called down.

Just call the river. UTG is a PFR (a lot of times those guys hold an Ace [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) who looks like he's chasing and caught.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Bet the turn. I'm guessing you didn't want to pay 2 bets to see the river but I don't think you're gonna be raised here much. River looks good.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:36 AM

Bet the turn. You're hand is too strong not to, especially given your read of button. Why surrender to him?

The river is tricky, but I think I like calling for the overcall (same amount as if you raise, button calls, and UTG calls).

Unless button is so fishy he's liable to call with a 9, K, or a bad flush. Then I'm raising. It's a tough fold, but I think you can safely fold if UTG 3-bets you. That'll be the Ah or a full house 99% of the time.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. You're hand is too strong not to, especially given your read of button. Why surrender to him?

The river is tricky, but I think I like calling for the overcall (same amount as if you raise, button calls, and UTG calls).

Unless button is so fishy he's liable to call with a 9, K, or a bad flush. Then I'm raising. It's a tough fold, but I think you can safely fold if UTG 3-bets you. That'll be the Ah or a full house 99% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-23-2005, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I played it OK, only got result-oriented. Betting turn is easier.
I think Button is too passive to bet a lesser hand than K pair.
Now UTG calls so it looks like he has a flush draw. Given his PFR, I only seem to beat JJ and maybe TT if the flush comes. So it seems I'm beaten with my pair and beaten with my draw, so it's quite a parlay to win here. Anyways, the pot is big enough to go for it, right?
Would you call the turn here with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J or T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T?

Results:
Button had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he indeed overcalled and I was beaten by A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 AM

It doesn't matter that Button will only bet a pair of Kings when checked too.. what matters is he calls with all sorts of other crap when you bet.