Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 AM

Default from chipleader to out in the stars 45k rebuy

I'm sitting at 420 k and I got knocked out in 2 hands with about 30 left.

Blinds 10/20k and bb has about 175K left after posting. I raise to 100k in the sb with K7- he pushes with A2 and I have to call and lose.

Now 10 hands or so later I push A9 off (9.5 BB) with button and blinds left to go. I get instacalled by A10 and I lose.

From sng play you have to push small edges in shorthanded situations. Should I just wait for better hands before I attack or is this just a small example of loose callers. I wouldn't call with A2 in the blinds for my tournament life if I had 10bb unless I knew the guy was doing it everytime.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:12 AM

Default Re: from chipleader to out in the stars 45k rebuy

I know the feeling and it sucks. You got unlucky towards the end. The K7 hand, I say either raise to 50K so you can get away from the hand or push all in preflop. I don't like the 100K raise in this situation. I don't think you can really fold it preflop, can you?

A9 hand nothing you can do their.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 AM

I've been chipleader 3 times in the past two weeks entering the last 140.

Once finished 137th, one 80th, and one 31st.

It happens in big tournaments when the stacks get so short.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 AM

Raising to 50 then folding could work out better but I would be out of position and the small raise invites a push from a lot of hands which I may beat. 100k did the same thing as a push since I pushed a few hands earlier I wanted to actually look like there was thought behind the bet.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 AM

I totally agree with comments. But sometimes I wonder if these donks reraise to 175K thinking he has some folding equity against you, not realizing your pot committed. I don't know.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 PM

first off, i just wanted to say that in these shallow stacked tournaments, while its frustrating, its not that surprising to go from CL to broke in just a couple of hands. i mean, look at where you were -- as CL, you had about 21BBs. thats silly.

second hand looks good. the first hand though, i think sometimes you have to spell it out for these guys -- you have no fold equity! if it folds to you in the SB here, and BB has a comfortable chipstack (under 10xBB, but I bet a lot of stacks were under 10xBB at that time), you should just push. don't give him the notion that he MIGHT make you fold. instead, make him decide whether he's willing to put his "tournament life" on the line with whatever hes holding.

or of course the alternative is raising to 50k and folding to a push. but i think raising to 100k is the "worst of both worlds." i say push it allin and make that sucka make a big call to double up.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the feeling and it sucks. You got unlucky towards the end. The K7 hand, I say either raise to 50K so you can get away from the hand or push all in preflop. I don't like the 100K raise in this situation. I don't think you can really fold it preflop, can you?

A9 hand nothing you can do their.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like raising to 50K and folding to a reraise at all. Once you raise to 50K, you have pot odds to call. Either push or limp. Raising to 100K is the same as pushing and may look stronger, so this is fine too.

K7o is only a 59-41 dog to A2o and you have pot odds.

You were the chip leader but had less than 20xBB. It is easy to bust out fast if you don't play weak tight.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like raising to 50K and folding to a reraise at all. Once you raise to 50K, you have pot odds to call.

K7o is only a 59-41 dog to A2o and you have pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're not quite getting 2-1 and we don't know that he has A2, so, assign the guy a range. It might not be a correct call. As I've said before, I hate doing the EV calculations, but saying "K7o is a 59-41 dog against A2" is really not a justification for calling the push there.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Look out for the big stacks. I don't like the 100k raise. I don't like the raise with king no kicker. let some of the smaller stacks bust out. If you are going to raise, go 3xBB if you can't get away from it.

His range is any pair, any ace, any two paints; less likely are higher suited connectors; his perception of your range is proly any two cards due to you being chip leader / bully.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 PM

I dunno about the average player, but when I see a 5x bb raise on the button/sb, I immediately think weakness. That doesn't mean I'm gonna push with a2, but it's something to keep in mind.