Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: 20/40 Getting aggressive

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have more posts than 83, and even more credentials on top of that if you wish to question a hand that I post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's an incredible ego you've got there, even for a poker player.

SpaceAce
Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: My thoughts

Carlos,

Great post. I agree with you about not betting if your opponent catches paint...I was speaking in generalities about the 6th street play, but your response is much better. I DEFINITELY agree with betting if he catches any non-picture card though.

Say he catches a jack and it goes check-check on 6th. Are you paying off a river bet unimproved every time?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I DEFINITELY agree with betting if he catches any non-picture card though.

Say he catches a jack and it goes check-check on 6th. Are you paying off a river bet unimproved every time?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to worried about the opponent having started with a wheel draw, but I think it is equally or more likely that a player would just limp with a wheel draw than with 3 broadway card (with which I think more people raise correctly). Wheel draws seem to come up for me a lot shorthanded, has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I would be forced to call a bet on the river after checking 6th because the 6th st. show of weakness will often induce a bluff. However, if I bet 6th, I would fold a decent amount of the time on the river if I got bet into.

Also, I am probably folding 6th (one of the few times I ever would) if my opponent bets into me again and I haven't improved (unless they caught a card suited to the Ace because then there is an okay chance that they just have a 4 flush).

Regards,
Carlos
Old 12-22-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You also brought up a valid point about being behind on fifth if called. I actually would be worried in a tough game, perhaps the shorthanded 30-60 you play in on stars, but in this game I think I dont have as much to fear. Thnaks again for the analysis, Carlos. It helps to know what you think about this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough players don't open limp with a live an Ace up short handed unless they are rolled or occasionally slowplaying split As, but this is so rare that I think this entire discussion is only valid when talking about average or bad players.

The worse (or in other words more passive) the player the MORE worried about being behind after getting called on 5th I am. Bad players tend to limp with any pair just to reduce their risk if they lose (when the pair is small) or as a slowplay when the pair is big. After getting raised by your rag board twice in a row they might think that you have trips and check to you on 6th with a hand as stong as As up. (Yes, this is dumb of them to slowplay and then get scared, but that is what a lot of people do).

Your comment makes me think that you are making a general mistake that I sometimes make: continuing aggression on several sts. when I have a very marginal hand vs a bad player just because they act weak by checking to me. Bad players offer free cards often times when they are ahead and you are not taking advantage of this if you go overboard with marginally hands.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 12-22-2005, 11:48 AM

re.: "continuing aggression on several sts"

Yes, I find myself often making this mistake. And, usually I know better. The more passive the player, the more one should shy away from the bet. Especially if you're one of the more aggressive players at the table.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have more posts than 83, and even more credentials on top of that if you wish to question a hand that I post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's an incredible ego you've got there, even for a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a forum that has always prided itself as a non-flaming forum, encourages newbies to participate, etc. I agree this is extremely rude and arrogant.

Memo to self: Remember that I am not worthy of responding to Mike Emery's posts.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Don,

Mike was just joshing around with some of us with the tone of his post, then Uwda didn't see the humor, then Mike responded. He is actually a very nice guy (and hilarious) IRL even if he has no sense of direction. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 PM

Reckless at best. Dead Queen. Limping Ace. There must be better situations, even in this shorthanded play to get involved in. Is it really really the risk at this level and ante, to risk $160 or more on this medicore holding?

Yes, you do set up an aggessive image that the players need to be concerned about on future hands, but basically I don't like to see this hand played beyond 4th or 5th. Wait for something better and more profitable.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don,

Mike was just joshing around with some of us with the tone of his post, then Uwda didn't see the humor, then Mike responded. He is actually a very nice guy (and hilarious) IRL even if he has no sense of direction. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, but for those of us that do not know him, it came across quite differently.

One thing I do not wish to see, is for this forum to crush the questions and comments from those that may be a little timid jumping into the mix.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don,

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, but for those of us that do not know him, it came across quite differently.

One thing I do not wish to see, is for this forum to crush the questions and comments from those that may be a little timid jumping into the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Mike's response sounded a bit high and mighty (even if it wasn't meant that way)...remind me to slap give Mike a slap on the wrist th next time I see him...

-Carlos