Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: insta fold with overpair 25/50

[ QUOTE ]
anyways I like push/fold preflop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

mehhhhhhhhhh.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pushing pre-flop seems really, really bad. There's already a small relative chance he has something other than AA/KK

[/ QUOTE ]

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pushing pre-flop seems really, really bad. There's already a small relative chance he has something other than AA/KK

[/ QUOTE ]

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[/ QUOTE ]

As eloquent as this is, would you mind explaining what else you think villain can be on? Do supertight players do this with 88? JJ? AQ?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[/ QUOTE ]

As eloquent as this is, would you mind explaining what else you think villain can be on? Do supertight players do this with 88? JJ? AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP said: [ QUOTE ]
Villain is the tightest player here and pretty straight forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me think that he doesnt know villain very well. Tight straightforward players rarely would minraise w/ AA/KK here. That said they rarely minraise w/ anything else; but i'm not inclined to believe villain's range is only AA/KK here. Doesnt mean i dont fold preflop; but i think far >25% of the time villain doesnt have AA/KK. Still not sure what my action would be in OP's spot...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 PM

also was this online or live?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't see how you could possibly call a min-raise and then check/fold a pretty ideal flop for QQ. either fold to the min-raise, or bet the flop and then play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]this advice is spot on, unless you have a very nice read that his hand is only KK or AA based on his postflop bet. Why can't he have AK, anyways I like push/fold preflop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting; I think his advice, and yours, is dead wrong. I think he's saying that his read indicates AA/KK and not AK, so he's calling to set (or conceivably bluff when an Ace falls).

this whole hand is insanely read dependent. if you have such a good read on this guy, then look him in the eyes when he gets his cards, see his mouth twitch and recognize it for AA/KK, fold the ladies and get the hell outta dodge.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 PM

that was a big preflop raise on your part and out of the blinds, so his most likely hand is still AA>KK even with the minraise. yes players usually know better than to do that with AA/KK, but in this case you fired huge out of the sb. very different situation imo. but durrrr plays those games; i don't. if he has it he should go to the felt, so i minimum call for set equity. if he can correctly "get away" from KK on a Qxx board with a 2K pot and 4K behind, he's a better player than i.

unclear how tight is tight. tightest player at that table may not be that tight. however, any tightish player who reraises a 10x sb raise from the bb deserves some credit as long as the game isn't an sb raise-steal game, which most aren't.

imo good play, good laydown, sorry he didn't have it. terrible show.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Christ zeebo.

Why are u pushing... Get AK to fold? I think if you are going to fold QQ on this board, then you sure as heck better be calling with QQ preflop as much as you'd call with 22.

-Jason
Old 12-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Out of curiosity, what do you do if you hold KK in that same exact spot?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christ zeebo.

Why are u pushing... Get AK to fold? I think if you are going to fold QQ on this board, then you sure as heck better be calling with QQ preflop as much as you'd call with 22.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]I never said I'd push. I'd just say playing for set value is stupid (gut telling me that, haven't done math). Furthermore, I'm pushing so we don't make a huge mistake postflop vs AK (or other random hand) like OP possibly did. I think once we committ to see a flop here, we have committed are stack at hoping he doesn't have AA or KK, so why check-fold a safe flop?