Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: I\'m playing a 480xBB pot with AA, 100NL deep

I re-raise PF.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 PM

i don't mind the PF call. i raise the flop...make it look like a re-re-steal.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM

Playing this deep and with a wide range for him, you must 3-bet this preflop.

You called on every single street- this is not a good sign. I think there is a good chance you won this hand, but you have done nothing to narrow his range which means you are guessing. guessing=calling=generally bad
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM

I'd go ahead and bomb it pre flop.. you want to get as much money in as possible when you hold the current nuts when have 3 additional streets of betting and deep money

i'd make it about $45 and shrug if he folded
Old 12-08-2005, 04:32 PM

I think calling preflop is ok in the right situation. This hand looks like a reraise to me, but I don't think calling is horrible.

If you do call, however, you must take advantage of the deception gained by raising big on the flop (to at least $75 or so). Only against a total aggro-maniac who backs down from counter-aggression could calling on all four streets be correct.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM

I think this hand was butchered, 3-bet around $45. If called push the flop.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:01 PM

AA wants to get all the money pre-flop. Against a particularly agro player OOP who you think is determined to get all his money in anyway this trapping play is the same as getting it all-in pre-flop. Not the same, but the results are the same. Bet-call, bet-call, all-in-call. Raising pre-flop may have given him a chance to get away. Calling lets him think he's good. You're not folding and all you want is to get all your money in. I think you trapped him nicely. Results are not important. You'll win most of these, but you won't win them all.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 PM

er.. i dont think i like 3 betting PF, but i'm used to tournaments. I'd be trying to get all his money in, and unless he has KK, maybe QQ he's not going to get it in. I'd be raising that flop though, and calling a push.

So maybe i'm setting myself up for disaster, but i think i'm setting him up more.... maybe.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 PM

If he's three betting you frequently. You need to expand his hand range. This also means that your normal WA/WB situation when he also has an overpair is no longer true. How sick would you be if you let 98o crack your aces b/c you never raised? Against someone this aggressive the appropriate action is to reraise preflop then bomb the flop. Not b/c this is the optimal way to play Aces but b/c it sets up opportunities down the line for you to resteal and forces the villain to make tough decisions. This line is an offensive strategy whereas you the calling line is essentially a defensive play (protecting yourself from being bluffed). Do you have any read on the villain that says he'll play a 480BB pot with only one pair? One of the secrets to be a successful lag is to play small or medium sized pots with one pair then when you have two pair or better play a big pot. People tend not to believe you have it when you are splashing around all the time.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Results and a few thouhts

About Villains handrange. This was maybe the fourth time he had 3-bet me pre-flop total during the 150 hand session. While I highly doubt it has always been either AA, KK, QQ or AK, he probably isn't doing this with any two cards he'd normally open-raise with. I think it's very questionable he'd do it with 55 or 77, especially when I gave him a clear hint just two hands ago that I'm not giving his pre-flop 3-bets much respect.

When he insta 3-bet me pre-flop in this hand, I got the feeling that he was very excited that he had finally created the needed meta game conditions in order to win a big pot from me with the hand he had. Basically this is my read which is also part of the hand and which I think some of you are overlooking. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just resulsts oriented, because KK is what he had.

I think the pre-flop call is fine and I really like it more than 4-betting because I know a lot more about his hand than he knows about mine. If this wasn't the case I'd probably 4-bet, but this time I think calling is just fine. On the flop I should've probably raised. I'm not sure if he gets away from QQ at this point, but with KK he's probably going down nonetheless.

Thanks for all the responses.