Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-08-2005, 12:17 PM

Default I\'m playing a 480xBB pot with AA, 100NL deep

Villain in this hand is a LAG, 45/17/4.33 after 300 hands, who is very aggressive and plays quite well post-flop. My table image is kinda LAGgy too; around 25/15 if Villain is using PT.

We've played a few pots together this far. He has 3-bet me pre-flop a few times, raised my c-bet a few times and so on. Just a few hands ago I raised pre-flop with 45s, got one caller and he 3-bet. I decided to take a flop and maybe keep him honest with the right type of flop because I didn't think he'd need a premium hand to do this. I flopped an OESD but didn't hit and the third guy in the pot ruined my plan of taking the pot away. After the hand the third guy who won the pot asked Villain what he had and I chimed in telling he had nothing, to which Villain replied that he had AQ.

This leads me to believe that Villain knows that I suspect that he 3-bets me pre-flop with less than premium holdings. In the hand below Villains pre-flop re-raise was instant, and this makes me to think he has a very big hand this time.

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($253.43)
SB ($91.50)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($242.43)</font>
UTG ($59.35)
MP ($84.79)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($257.12)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $11</font>, Hero calls $8.

Flop: ($24.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $23</font>, Hero calls $23.

Turn: ($70.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $67</font>, Hero calls $67.

River: ($204.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB calls $140.43 (All-In), Hero calls $140.43.

Final Pot: $485.36

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: I\'m playing a 480xBB pot with AA, 100NL deep

After BBs reraise, make it something like 45 preflop.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:20 PM

I re-raise PF and then push flop....

U are up against KK or QQ IMO....and one of them has u beaten on the turn.........

Why did u not raise the flop ???

For some reason after looking at this hand again...I have a feeling its AA vs AA...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM

Looks good to me.

If you think he has a big hand, I'd eliminate QQ and TT...he played it too strong. KK or JJ sounds good.

You got all your money in with presumably the best hand, and there was no way to avoid getting stacked here if he had you beat (unless he had AQ).
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM

You gotta 3-bet this PF. There are several reasons. A) You are too deep to mess around. B) Villians re-raise does not define his hand since he is doing this with alot of holding. C) Most importantly, he might figure you for a re-steal and push marginal holdings.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:35 PM

You have to raise at some point during this hand. I probably make a good sized raise pre-flop. If not, I put a big raise in on the flop. You have no idea what his holdings are with the way you played it, a raise early on allows you to narrow his range. He might have just backed into trip queens to crack your aces. Hopefully he shows you KK and your hand is good.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 PM

Here's my thinking through the hand:

Pre-flop I didn't want to make it too easy for him to read my hand which is why I called. I think he knows I don't need a premium hand to call his 3-bets and I can use this to my advantage because my read tells me his handrange is a lot narrower than he thinks mine is.

The flop looked pretty innocent even though TT is a hand he could have. My original plan was to either raise the flop or the turn and since he was so eager into putting money in the pot I decided to wait and let the pot grow, making it harder for him to get away. Like I said, he was really aggressive post-flop, like a steamroller, so getting money in the pot was not a problem.

The turn card was not as pretty as I was hoping for. One of the two most likely hands he could have had just made a set so I started thinking this as a WA/WB situation. I almost raised but then thought he might get away from KK if I did, so I just called.

If my original read was right, the river was a good card for me, because it made it less likely for Villain to have QQ. I was a tad worried about AQ but my gut told me this was not part of his handrange. I called expecting to see either TT or KK.

Makes sense?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 PM

I think the problem is that you are betting a lot of money that give his pre flop action his hand range is {JJ-AA}.

I think you'll see a hand like 55 or 77 here more often than you think.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Does villian really get THIS out of line?

This is a huge pot, he can't really be semi-bluffing, and similarly, you can't be drawing.

He then fires two pot sized bets on the flop and turn, and then follows through when a "blank" hit the river....

I suppose KK is possible, but are there any other hands that you think he would think are good that you beat? Is he really capable of a 3 barrell bluff on a drawless board for 240BBs?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM

So then what do you differently