Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Aces flops a set: Now fold???

I'd still push. With a big raise and two callers, I think one will like their hand enough to call.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 PM

everybody will fold. i want to bust 1 player.

yeah maybe they have good hands. the thing is, a raise to 125 isn't that big with starting stacks of 1500. so to adjust the original raise would of had to have been 250. so if i see a raise of 250, call, call, then yeah I'd push.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM

First, hero puts a post-it on his monitor that says "DON'T SLOWPLAY PREFLOP IN A 20/2, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE POT SIZE IS HALF YOUR STACK"

After the flop, yeah, you're often behind, but you have pot odds for your boat and if you win this hand you pretty much don't have to do anything else until the bubble.

EDIT: Left out one word that completely changed the meaning of the sentence it was in. You are not ALWAYS beaten, at these stakes often UTG has a underpair/set/2pair while one caller flushdraw/set/2pair, and one of them has A5o/gutshot/2pair/something even worse.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:47 PM

River quads if you are in trouble.

Lori
Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice, and it's not even close. In addition to it, I also recommend that you not allow the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to come off on the turn.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everybody will fold. i want to bust 1 player.

yeah maybe they have good hands. the thing is, a raise to 125 isn't that big with starting stacks of 1500. so to adjust the original raise would of had to have been 250. so if i see a raise of 250, call, call, then yeah I'd push.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, it makes more sense to evaluate the size of a raise by the current BB and not by the stack sizes.

Second, don't mind winning the money in the pot so much.

Third, if 1 player is gonna call a raise for over half his stack (stacks are 800 BTW) - then he will call your all in.

Push, and hope there is an AK or KK out there.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice, and it's not even close. In addition to it, I also recommend that you not allow the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to come off on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

He folded because he was convinced that J10 was out there. I told him that I would call anyway w/all the money out there just to be in command after I sucked out.

Anway, results:

UTG: KQ
MP: J10
MP1: J10
Old 09-16-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, it makes more sense to evaluate the size of a raise by the current BB and not by the stack sizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, people's stack sizes helps determine how likely they are to call.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, don't mind winning the money in the pot so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the situation where stacks are 800, sure, the odds are getting big enough that you shouldn't mind people folding. Deep-stacked, when you have a big hand you want to make a raise that your opponents shouldn't call, but will, that's where the money comes from.

[ QUOTE ]
Third, if 1 player is gonna call a raise for over half his stack (stacks are 800 BTW) - then he will call your all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The post you're quoting was talking about the situation where everyone has stacks of 1500, that's even mentioned right there in the portion you quoted. Also, at 20/2's and below I see people call half their stacks and then fold the flop all the time. Don't assume all your opponents think logically or know what they're doing.

[ QUOTE ]
Push, and hope there is an AK or KK out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

These hands will usually play and might even reraise anyway. Now let's work on getting action from worse ones.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:56 PM

Your getting about 4 to 1 pot odds and are either...

a) Ahead as about a 2 to 1 favorite
or
b) Behind as about a 2 to 1 dog.

Either way, I call.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:30 PM

If you want to lose with Aces this is the best way, flat calling in a multiway pot pre flop. Get all your money in pre flop every time so you arnt making a incorrect fold on the flop