Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Default $109 facing a bet into a dry side pot, I turn into an idiot

I'm not eager to post a hand that makes me look like such an idiot, but I've shown this hand to a couple people and I've been asked to post it.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1945)
Button (t1990)
Hero (t5550)
BB (t515)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, Button calls t300, Hero calls t150, <font color="red">BB t215 (All-in)</font>, Button calls t215, Hero calls t215

Flop: (t1545) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button t1475 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

Turn: (t3020) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t3020) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

I'm not going to hide the results, you are all big boys and girls.

BB has Kh, 6h
Button has Qd, 6d

I know I have a lot of chips. I know I have top pair. I just thought it was unfathomable that he could bet here without crushing me. I mean the average player HATES betting here EVER. Some opponents, myself included, will bet out of the check-down scenerio, BUT NOT WITHOUT A HAND!!!!

Was this a bad fold, a really bad fold, or the worst damn fold in the history of the earth?

I know that was one of the worst freakin bets I've ever seen, and thankfully that dumb bastard busted out 4th.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: $109 facing a bet into a dry side pot, I turn into an idiot

Wow for real? I dump that ish with the quickness.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 AM

I'll take partial credit/blame/whatever for asking microbet to post this.

Before he told me the results I said I'd probably call most of the time because of the pot odds and the possibility of either having the best hand or sucking out.

I'm not sure if I was right or not. I dont think folding or calling is horrible here. I certainly dont think he played it like an idiot. I hope to see lots of other opinions on this hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 AM

Microbet, just out of curiosity, did you consider pushing pre-flop? If not, was it because of some read on the button? Seems like he'd need a monster to call, so by pushing you'd get heads up with shortstack with an above average hand and 300 extra chips to sweeten the pot.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 AM

Had a similar hand myself recently.. I thought it was a bad play at the time, but then wondered whether it might not be +EV - he is, after all, getting a better hand to fold without essentially risking any more chips.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:24 AM

It's a bit of a tough question. You're right that many people need monsters here to bet, but the question in my mind is what kind of monster he's going to play this way PF. AA is obviously unlikely, and I'd think JJ (or even 33) would want to isolate once the BB was already all-in. This goes for many of the better aces, too. So it seems pretty implausible for you to be beat. I call here, if I think it through, but I don't hate the fold and might make it in similar situations if I was just whipping through.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 AM

I fold here.

I figure that we are both going to call down to push the short stack out. So I am not going to get aggressive. I assume that they are thinking along similar lines. When they push I assume that they have a hand and do not need my help in pushing shorty out.

If two folks want to go at it on the bubble.. I let them.

--
tjh
Old 12-28-2005, 01:52 AM

Yah this is an awful bet.

I'd say this is a moderately bad fold, limping on the button isn't indicative of an ace on most levels. Of course you never want to bust 4th so I've made folds like this.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:52 AM

I'm not always the biggest bubble pwner in the world, but I had been pwning this one pretty mercilessly. I wouldn't have expected button to be surprised by a push from me, so I didn't think I should do it. In fact, I pushed over his completion on the previous hand.

If I had been really quiet and he just made the "I just want help bust shorty" play, I would have felt differently.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not always the biggest bubble pwner in the world, but I had been pwning this one pretty mercilessly. I wouldn't have expected button to be surprised by a push from me, so I didn't think I should do it. In fact, I pushed over his completion on the previous hand.

If I had been really quiet and he just made the "I just want help bust shorty" play, I would have felt differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That makes perfect sense to me and would have been my thinking at the time, given those circumstances.

As the hand played out, I would have folded as well.