Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Curtains hand #2 - Blind boat, why he play so fast?

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t315)
MP3 (t925)
MP2 (t1900)
MP1 (t1390)
UTG+1 (t1230)
UTG (t1000)
Hero (t1060)
SB (t980)
Button (t1200)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t50, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t25, Hero checks

Flop: (t150) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t70</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t175</font>

Hopefully this isn't another "standard" hand. MP2 got his stack by getting KK in vs 77 preflop.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Curtains hand #2 - Blind boat, why he play so fast?

I like a call here
Old 12-23-2005, 11:30 PM

I play almost everything fast although I agree that in this particular case a slowplay is quite warranted. However as I post over and over, I almost never slowplay, especially out of position.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:34 PM

This isn't a good CR. If you want to play it fast, you should bet it, but a CR on this board is a good way to make stuff fold that you don't want to fold. The only hands that go further after this are mostly tens that would get it all in, anyway.

I mean, I bet (some hand), you, a good player whose nick I probably recognize, minCR* at a 200...am I really calling with a QJ knowing you control the betting from this point out? Nah.

*I consider all of these types of bazillion to one odds to draw hands to be minCR's and proceed appropriately.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:31 AM

btw the opponent was not a good player if I recall. Although thats my default assumption when anyone has doubled up early. Although there is no way I would expect a jack to fold or any kind of straight draw.

You weren't the opponent adanthar, and if you were I would have attempted to play the hand in a manner to help you give away some chips. Most of the time it's just not going to happen though.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:32 AM

also note that I do checkraise with nothing sometimes. Hands have been posted in which I've done so. It wouldn't be good if I never checkraised with huge hands. Despite all of this I did regret the way I played it at the time.