Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Good spot to go for overcalls?

Bunch of loose-passives. Nothing special, no weird plays yet. MP will call down with any draw and will cold-call with gutshots even.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

With so many callers, I felt like this card was horrible for me. I didn't want to bet, because I figured MP or button made a draw, given the flop cold-calls. Then one of them would raise and drive out my equity padding. I was hoping MP would bet, and then I could call down with lots of worse hands still in the pot with me. But they checked through.

River: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, Button folds.

So the river completes a straight for me, but I'm still worried that SB may have missed a c/r or someone is scared of a higher flush or someone may have a higher straight. So I go for overcalls ...

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

I feel like a wimp for not betting that turn, but it I have no fold equity, and there are a lot of draws out there that can still beat me if I'm not beat already, most of which can comfortably call my bet. I just didn't think I was ahead more than 25% of the time. In any case, it's close.

Anyone like overcalls on the river? I don't get to use this play much, so I'm not very good at it. We don't have this many people in the pot on the river on the 6-max tables very often.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Good spot to go for overcalls?

"and there are a lot of draws out there that can still beat me"

So charge them. Dont let them draw out on you for free! Anyone with the Ad, Qd, etc is likely staying around, make money off them!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 PM

Bet the turn.

Please?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:46 PM

I think you want at least one more player in there to go for the overcall. There's no reason to think that the sb is bluffing so he'll call your raise.

I'd have bet/called the turn, but I wonder if bet/folding isn't correct depending on the action after you bet. For example, if you bet and MP calls but SB raises, I think you should fold.

Also, again, I'd have bet the turn, but I see why you checked it. I'm in a questioning stage right now. I'm questioning everything I take for granted since I'm in a downswing. I'd like to see what others say
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 AM

I'm questioning my play a lot lately as well. I feel like I'm being overaggressive and paying off too much. I have 100-200 BB downswings and upswings every few thousands hands. I notice that the players with the best winrates show graphs that don't fluctuate so much. My winrate has been decent, but not one of the best, and I feel like one of my biggest leaks is paying off too much. I'm just trying to find that thin line between extracting value and paying off and generally trying to play smarter, not harder.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn.

Because you like money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:33 AM

jt, thanks for being the only person who answered my question about overcalls.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jt, thanks for being the only person who answered my question about overcalls.

[/ QUOTE ]
bet the turn

given your turn misplay, it seems going for overcalls on this river is the right play.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 AM

read TOP if you think checking this card is a good idea.

then bet the turn. also the river if you bet the turn.

If you check the turn like this, overcalling seems like the only option and it's icky.