Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Bellagio Poker deposit boxes?? Best way to manage large BR there??

Not exactly. My point is simple: if 10K will cause this much hysteria and paranoia for you (which is fine), how can you reasonably expect to have enough gamble in you to beat a poker game with decent stakes?

I don't play for hundreds of thousands, but I think this attitude for money is foolish. You should be smart when around poker rooms, especially when playing high, though. Things can happen - ask Raymer.

FWIW, when I go on the road to play 100-200 type of games, I typically bring something like 10-15K, depending on how long my trip is. I seldom carry more than that, and I have a box at my regular room.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Bellagio Poker deposit boxes?? Best way to manage large BR there?

[ QUOTE ]
A briefcase handcuffed to the wrist is another option. Just don't lose the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks you need a key didn't watch "24".
Old 12-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Ok, I'll bite, why would you not use the in room safe?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM

you don't use the safe because people are idiots and forget the combination too easily.
Thus the hotel has to send up a tech to get it opened. but it can just as easily be opened by anyone with the equipment who doesn't represent the interestes of the hotel.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not exactly. My point is simple: if 10K will cause this much hysteria and paranoia for you (which is fine), how can you reasonably expect to have enough gamble in you to beat a poker game with decent stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take 3.5 from the 30/60. This is not my concern.

My question was about the logistics of getting myself a box, not about the relative size of $10,000 to you.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM

I always use the in room safe and always have the privacy please thing on the door. So we don't get our beds made big deal. Seems pretty safe to me.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM

BK - I'm a little worried about your logic on this one, and I also feel bad that you're not getting your bed made, as that is one of the best parts of world class travel.

Do you think that the people who would be interested in entering your room and emptying your safe will be thwarted by the do not disturb sign?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Man...some of you guys are total a-holes.

While they won't give you a box unless you have maybe 100K, I think the room safe will be fine or a front desk safe. Maybe call the pr in advance and ask for suggestions.

As far as some of these d-bags saying 10K is not a lot of money, when you're carrying it around it is and when it's cash it is. How many of you that responded have really carried 10K around with them at any given time in vegas huh? Never heard of pick pockets???
Old 12-05-2005, 09:58 PM

Where are you staying ? All the strip hotels have FREE safety deposit boxes at or near the front desk area -- free to all hotel guests. This is what I did in the past. I have stayed at Luxor, Monte Carlo, and TI. I'd grab 5K out of my box in the morning - go to Bellagio - play for a while -- go back to hotel and put the cash back in the box -- screw around the strip for a while - go to bed - and do it over the next day.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10K is QUITE a large sum of money to probably 90%+ of the population in the US, even those of us who make a comfortable living don't sneeze at 10 grand.

Not all of us can be high rollers playing with hundreds of thousands every night and I think it's pretty elitest to say that if you don't then "poker isn't the thing for you"

[/ QUOTE ]

10k can simultaneously be a sizeable amount of money and also not very much considering the context of the question. 10k just isn't all that much when you're talking about high-limit poker or securing a safe deposit box at the cage in Vegas.