Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Tom Brady wins SI Sportsman of the Year

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares. I am tired of every sports person on ESPN and anywhere else blowing Tom Brady. Talk about something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. I would much rather listen to ESPN talk incessently about a scumbag like TO, instead of a genuine good person like Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh..maybe. For all anyone knows he may only be a genuine as Eugene Robinson. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

brady sells more magazines

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe SI thinks leading the Patriots to a third Super Bowl in four years is a worthy accomplishment
Old 12-06-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

brady sells more magazines

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe SI thinks leading the Patriots to a third Super Bowl in four years is a worthy accomplishment

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, dynasty, don't kid yourself. we're talking about sports illustrated here.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 AM

Wow, I like how he wins a sports award, for (according to OP) being a really nice guy, unlike TO.

Who in the hell cares if he's a nice guy or not? That's really really swell and all, but it shouldn't matter. Until multimillion dollar business mergers are stopped when one side acts like "total meanies" to the other, a player's character shouldnt matter. It's a damn business.

End of rant.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I like how he wins a sports award, for (according to OP) being a really nice guy, unlike TO.

Who in the hell cares if he's a nice guy or not? That's really really swell and all, but it shouldn't matter. Until multimillion dollar business mergers are stopped when one side acts like "total meanies" to the other, a player's character shouldnt matter. It's a damn business.

End of rant.

[/ QUOTE ]

my OP said nothing about him winning b/c he was a nice guy. I said I'm not tired of hearing about good guys succeed.

but to address your point: a players character shouldn't matter? LOL. if you don't think that it's critical to team success that everyone is on the same page, and working to accomplish the same goal, you're crazy. character, in this case, is putting team goals above yours. something Brady has down. something guys like TO don't.

or check out this qoute from Willis McGahee, after their choke this week against the Dolphins:

"I'm over 1,000 yards. That's my highlight of the day. It's out of my hands. If I called the plays, I'd have 60 carries."

yeah, character doesn't matter
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awful choice. If you want to choose a football player Peyton is a much better choice his team is having the best year in recent memory and last year he had one of the best passing seasons of all time. I hate the colts but Peyton is definetly the SI Sportsman of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty tired of arguing Brady Vs. Manning. Manning is a great QB, w/o a doubt.

but last year, he put up a record breaking regular season, then went 27-for-42 for 238 yards w/ 1 Int & 0 touchdowns in 20-3 playoff loss to NE. (Brady was just a bit better, going going 18 for 27 with 1 TD throw, 1 TD run, and 0 interceptions)

this year, Peyton has led his team to a 12-0 record.

he's had a great 2 year run, but is not worthy of Sportman of the Year. yet.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

End of rant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I do believe JoA in that it's mostly about the money, I do believe SI is taking some social responsiblity in promoting good sportsmanship as well, especially for the youngest generation.

With as much bad stuff as we hear in sports these these days, from TO's ranting, to the Ron Artest incident, to steriods, and all the other [censored], it's nice to hear about the good things. Although, in Brady's case, you have to hear about it for 3 1/2 hours every Sunday. Which is probably the reason why I said *yawn* in my first post on this, and some of you agreed.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM

Yeah, but it's not like SI could've made the TO Sportsman of the Year.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously...

Some other candidates could have been:

Lance Armstrong
Matt Leinart
The Chicago White Sox?
uh, Teddy Bruschi?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously...

Some other candidates could have been:

Lance Armstrong
Matt Leinart
The Chicago White Sox?
uh, Teddy Bruschi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lance is a good choice, but didn't he win a couple of years ago? Not that this should technically affect the awarding process.

Also, the Red Sox won last year, and they were the first pro team to win the award. They obviously had the ALCS comeback and a tragic history as storylines.

The White Sox were a fantastic team, but not a great story.