Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Question for Guitar Players

This is in regards to the song "Smokey" by the Red House Painters. If you haven't heard it, I recommend you download it.

Basically, how do I get my guitar to hit a note and then seamlessly transfer that into feedback of the same note several octaves higher such as what occurs masterfully throughout this song?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Question for Guitar Players

[ QUOTE ]
This is in regards to the song "Smokey" by the Red House Painters. If you haven't heard it, I recommend you download it.

Basically, how do I get my guitar to hit a note and then seamlessly transfer that into feedback of the same note several octaves higher such as what occurs masterfully throughout this song?

[/ QUOTE ]

not exactly sure except that your amp needs to be loud with a decent amount of overdrive. anyone else with better ideas?

dizong
Old 12-05-2005, 12:58 AM

My guess is

1 Hit the fundamental
2 Either just turn the pickups into your amp(turned up real loud...like eleven) or hit the octave harmonic before you turn the pickups toward the amp.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:31 AM

I'm not download-workable right now, so are there any other songs that can show an example of this?

In most cases though when a note suddenly goes 1-2 octaves higher seemlessly, its due to someone using the whammy pedal. Re: Rage Against The Machine, U2 (Auchtung Baby)
Old 12-05-2005, 04:16 AM

I don’t have my guitars handy, (so I can’t be 100% sure), but this is basically what's going on.

The feedback you're hearing is one octave apart from the fundamental tone. The fundamental tone (g) is produced at the 5th fret of the D string and the feedback (immediately) is an octave higher. He then slides his finger to the 12th fret (same string without picking) and it produces the D note with feedback an octave higher. That’s basically it really.

I must say however, that this sounds like a Fernandes Sustainer pickup with the Harmonic Sustain Mode selected; this does not sound like natural feedback- especially the way the octave kicks in. A less likely choice would be he used an Ebow and natural feedback, but I doubt it.