Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-03-2005, 02:10 PM

Default I found $640: now what?

This morning I went to Bank of America to take care of some things. I parked, got out and turned towards the building. Almost exactly halfway between the door and my truck was what looked like a wad of $100s and $20s. It was seriously a pile of money, sitting there and soaking up the rain. I rushed over to pick it up and looked around. The parking lot was fairly full, but there wasn't anyone around. The bills were relatively dry, so they couldn't have been there for long. I hurriedly gathered the money together and realized that there were only two $100 bills, which were on top, but a ton of $20s.

At this point, I had no idea what to do, so I kind of folded up the money in my hands and went inside. I was the first in line for the two tellers, but they were having computer problems, and the line started to grow behind me. I really kept the money hidden in my hands. I didn't want someone behind me in line to say, "Hey, that's my cash! I dropped it!"

When one of the tellers was free - an older blonde, maybe 40, with a hell of a smile - I walked up and had to make my decision. I just put the money on the counter and sort of whispered, "I found this in the parking lot. I think its about $640." I didn't want to talk very loudly for the same reason I kept the money out of sight when I picked it up. "What do I do now?" I asked her, still hushed. Really, I was hoping she would say they can't really hold on to it and that it was mine.

Instead, she took it, put it in an envelope with my name and number and said that if anybody came in and named the amount, they could claim it. Otherwise, she'd have her manager call me on Monday.

My salary is pretty low - ridiculously low, actually, some students on stipends get more than I do - so over $600 is by no means a trivial sum to me. And while I was waiting in line, I was thinking that nobody would know it wasn't my money unless whoever dropped it came in almost right behind me. Still, I decided to turn it over.

Now I'm just waiting until I get that call on Monday. But I keep wondering how I'd feel if I had just kept the cash.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: I found $640: now what?

yeah you arent getting a call
Old 12-03-2005, 02:13 PM

standard play. Hopefully you get that call- gl.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM

did you type in the subject line before you handed over the money?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM

U done the right thing....

If no-one claims that cash - U will rightfully be able to get it from the bank...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:17 PM

I think it is cool that you turned it in and you made the totally correct but difficult choice, although I would have wanted a better guarantee. Who is to say that if no one claims it that the tellers friend doesnt come in and "claim" it?

The fact that the money is important to you makes the decision all the better. If you keep making decisions like that in life you will go far because almost inevitably, good things happen to such people.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:19 PM

you could have let them know you found some money in the parking lot and left your number. if anyone lost the money have them call you, then you ask them how much it was and in what denominations. that way you dont get screwed over by the bank people.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:20 PM

Considering it was probably someones Christmas money that they were going to buy presents with, you did the right thing.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you type in the subject line before you handed over the money?

[/ QUOTE ]
The title is as much a question for others as it is self-doubt over my chosen course of action.

Mark - That would have been a smarter move, probably. I wasn't really thinking clearly, although immediately after picking up the money I did briefly consider just turning around and leaving altogether.

Reef - Do you mean that's a "standard play" for someone that's relatively honest? If I had dropped the money, I really wouldn't expect to see it again, so I don't think its "standard" for the majority of people.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering it was probably someones Christmas money that they were going to buy presents with, you did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how the probable use of the money affects anything.