Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Default \"With every draw turn, turn, turn.....\"

Hello all,

$100MTT at Party.

Villian's cold call of my flop raise was welcomed until the board paired on the turn.

Then he does this weird weak lead thing on the turn when the board pairs.

Wasn't sure if I should raise or call...what do you think?

I think the PF and flop play are pretty standard, although you can feel free to comment (unless you say fold PF, that you can keep to yourself).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t890)
Button (t1145)
SB (t1750)
BB (t1358)
UTG (t1115)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t1237)</font>
UTG+2 (t1085)
MP1 (t1330)
MP2 (t1610)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1055)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, UTG+2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t125, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (t390) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t125</font>

Hero???

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: \"With every draw turn, turn, turn.....\"

I dont think he would bet out a boat here, I'd raise to something like 350-400 enticing a call and hope he is on a lone heart or a draw. Looks like he's trying to showdown 2 pair or trips.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM

I wait a long time and then make a smallish raise to 350 or so. Hope he has A9 and pushes. Instacall. If he has a boat, hit your river 2 outer.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:04 PM

I hate this spot. It seems horrible to only get t125 off of him on the turn when he's behind, but getting reraised is really bad. Villain's being UTG+1 really doesn't help either. A call seems too weak to me, but I don't have justification or hand ranges.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 PM

I'm calling the turn and getting it all in if it doesn't pair the board again. If he's got me beat on this board...good for him.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:11 PM

I think this bet is almost always going to be either a better flush draw or a 9. This is not a board for check-calling two pair or a flopped set with, though of course some people will do that occasionally. Both the flush draw and the 9 seem reasonably likely to pay you off if you give them a chance. Pushing means that he has to call ~800 or so (I'm approximating) into a pot of about 1500, which I think he'll do with either hand, so that's what I'd do.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM

No way you can put him on a range that you're even close to behing behind. He could have an overpair, trips, flush draw. Lots of possibilities at this stage. So I think the key is maximizing the value of your hand here. How can you get all or most of his chips.

If he has has an overpair he will very likely call a raise on the turn and check-call a bet on the river. If he has trips he will very likely call a raise on the turn and check-call a bet on the river. He'll call a smallish raise with a flush draw and probably a single pair / draw type of hand.

So I definitely think a raise is in order here. Not necessarily to protect your hand but to extract value from a hand that will overplay early in an MTT. I'd probably raise to around t300-400. If he doesn't call that you probably wouldn't extract any more chips from him anyway. And it's enough so that if he calls you might get the rest of his chips in on the river.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 PM

You're killing his range, but raising is gonna get worse hands to fold and better hands to repop you, unless he's got a strong nine.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way you can put him on a range that you're even close to behing behind. He could have an overpair, trips, flush draw. Lots of possibilities at this stage. So I think the key is maximizing the value of your hand here. How can you get all or most of his chips.

If he has has an overpair he will very likely call a raise on the turn and check-call a bet on the river. If he has trips he will very likely call a raise on the turn and check-call a bet on the river. He'll call a smallish raise with a flush draw and probably a single pair / draw type of hand.

So I definitely think a raise is in order here. Not necessarily to protect your hand but to extract value from a hand that will overplay early in an MTT. I'd probably raise to around t300-400. If he doesn't call that you probably wouldn't extract any more chips from him anyway. And it's enough so that if he calls you might get the rest of his chips in on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's villain's preflop limping range in a $100 MTT here?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's villain's preflop limping range in a $100 MTT here?

[/ QUOTE ]

About the same as a $5 or better....

Regards,
Woodguy