Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Ansky451 is weak-tight at heart*

[ QUOTE ]
OP is weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke betgo? I think I've gone all in with 10 high, and restolen with 27o, and called down with middle pair, plenty of times to not be called weak tight. Maybe this was a weak tight fold, but I had a very strong read on my opponent, and (GASP!) I went with it. If there was a weak tight player in this hand, it was the BB, so yeah-- I gave him respect when he reraises me (who has a tight rep).

I'm weak tight?? Just because I make a big fold doesn't make me weak tight, its all about situations.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM

Oh, and to say folding 99 to a strong reraise by a very tight player is almost as bad as folding top 2 against Dan Harrington in blind vs blind-- that is absurd.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf world do you play in.

You have 15bb open from the button and one of the blinds pushes back??

for heavens sake stick it in there it doesnt seem close.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my initial reaction was along these lines. Then I decided that "its not even close" would be at odds with EVERY OTHER POSTER in this thread... so it is close apparently.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sb is sort of new to the table, and I have no significant reads. The bb seems to be good, but is VERY tight, and has not shown any inclination to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means you are basically praying for him to have AK, because I dont ever see him doing this with 22-88.

It is really close. You can make the argument for the call if pushing can get SB out of the hand a high enough percentage of the time.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP is weak tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke betgo? I think I've gone all in with 10 high, and restolen with 27o, and called down with middle pair, plenty of times to not be called weak tight. Maybe this was a weak tight fold, but I had a very strong read on my opponent, and (GASP!) I went with it. If there was a weak tight player in this hand, it was the BB, so yeah-- I gave him respect when he reraises me (who has a tight rep).

I'm weak tight?? Just because I make a big fold doesn't make me weak tight, its all about situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just agreeing with you. I thought that was the title of your thread. OK, you are weak tight in this situation.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the read.

SB called and uber tight BB basically sets you all in? I think TT+/AK or JJ+/AK is the range you're looking at here. With 44:26 (1.7:1) effective odds you need 37% equity. You don't have the odds against that range. Don't forget that the SB is still in there.

And nh on Sunday.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very unlikely that SB flat called with TT-AA, so I don't see the problem in SB being in the hand. SB being in the hand makes for a fatter pot to push at.

Maybe BB just hasn't had any cards. If the table is playing loose, I will often play real tight.

I just can't see how you can put someone on a range tight enough that this isn't a pot odds call with 99.

OP is weak tight. This fold is almost as bad as the alleged fold in the Gigabet post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand in his range that im "beating" is AK. I am pretty sure that his range does not include 88 and lower (ever) and rarely, if ever, AQ.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the read.

SB called and uber tight BB basically sets you all in? I think TT+/AK or JJ+/AK is the range you're looking at here. With 44:26 (1.7:1) effective odds you need 37% equity. You don't have the odds against that range. Don't forget that the SB is still in there.

And nh on Sunday.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very unlikely that SB flat called with TT-AA, so I don't see the problem in SB being in the hand. SB being in the hand makes for a fatter pot to push at.

Maybe BB just hasn't had any cards. If the table is playing loose, I will often play real tight.

I just can't see how you can put someone on a range tight enough that this isn't a pot odds call with 99.

OP is weak tight. This fold is almost as bad as the alleged fold in the Gigabet post.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand in his range that im "beating" is AK. I am pretty sure that his range does not include 88 and lower (ever) and rarely, if ever, AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume that someone who is this far along in a $500 tournament will play the hand that badly? Flat calling with AQ would be a really bad play. I don't think you know enough about villain to know he would misplay AQ here. He might be tight because he is afraid to play a flop, but willing to push.

This is a classic resteal / squeeze play situation. I am pushing from the BB with any raising hand and a lot of other hands.

You are getting 37% pot odds. AK is 56% QQ-KK is 20%. Even if you know that villain will push with those hands and no others, calling is still slightly EV+, because the odds of getting AK are 1.21% and that of AA-QQ 1.36%.

Even if this were slightly EV-, it is to your advantage to gamble at this stage, and it is not good for table image to fold to a reraise.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if this were slightly EV-, it is to your advantage to gamble at this stage, and it is not good for table image to fold to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like he's flipping 99 face up or anything...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM

Hand 1: 31.1892 % 30.98% 00.20% { 99 }
Hand 2: 68.8108 % 68.61% 00.20% { TT+, AKs, AKo }

And if you include AQ...

Hand 1: 37.2601 % 37.06% 00.20% { 99 }
Hand 2: 62.7399 % 62.54% 00.20% { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }

(Which I'm not sure should be included.)

So if its the looser range, then it's almost exactly neutral EV (I'm getting 1.76-1, and thus need 36% equity).

And does no one give any attention to the "requesting time?"

In my experience in a spot like that it makes him look weak, and I'd guess that is intentional, and more often than not means he is very strong.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:05 PM

I did pay attention to that, and that's part of how I derived my range. From a tight player, a quick move can be strength or weakness, but a slow move is almost always strength. Sorry I didn't mention that in my original post.