Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: EDITED!!!! Please read this

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to edit this, but as it's been longer than .5 hours I cannot. Premise 2 is unnecessary, only consider premises 1 and 3 in your responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing wrong is that the mom will probably be going to hell. Unless she asks Jesus to forgive her on her death bed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: A bizarre twist on morality (abortion)

[ QUOTE ]
Premise 1: Christianity is true, and God, Heaven, Hell and Jesus are real.
Premise 2: Moral is the action that does the most good at the cost of the least bad.
Premise 3: Aborted or miscarried children go to Heaven (this seems to be popular consensus)

A certain woman understands these premises. One day, she has an accidental pregnancy. She is very worried about the fact that there is a good chance that her child will not choose Christ (note that most people in this world are non-Christian). She aborts the child and it goes to Heaven.

She then decides to have a series of pregnancies, and abort each one. Each time, a new soul goes to Heaven. She continues doing this, under the belief that what she is doing is in the best interest of the unborn child (after all, Heaven is infinitely better than Earth.)

Is there anything wrong with this action?

[/ QUOTE ]The one thing that I always noticed that gets overlooked, is the difference between having children in biblical times and having children in modern times. It's not so much biblical times but greater than around 150 years ago children where a cash generator. You could put your children to work, i think the estimate that a child would be worth around 10,000 a year. So at least the monetary aspect of the dilema wasn't an issue. But today children are a boon of on average 18,000 a year. I think this adds an important consideration to the abortion issue, that no one seems to bring up. Children are expensive, which was not the case when the "pro-life" scriptures were written.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Premise 3: Aborted or miscarried children go to Heaven (this seems to be popular consensus)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you confused dead fetuses with dogs. It's the dogs that all go to heaven.

Don't catholics believe in original sin, i.e everyone starts off a sinner, and you ahve to spend your whole life repenting?

[/ QUOTE ]

They taught us in Catholic school that unborn children get the benefit of the doubt. Seems a bit wishy-washy to me, but after the stuff about pedophile priests, they're trying to look good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried to edit this, but as it's been longer than .5 hours I cannot. Premise 2 is unnecessary, only consider premises 1 and 3 in your responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing wrong is that the mom will probably be going to hell. Unless she asks Jesus to forgive her on her death bed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say she plans on repenting and accepting Jesus after menopause. Seems pretty win-win to me.

After all, if there really is a heaven and abortion is a shortcut, wouldn't you rather have been aborted?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After all, if there really is a heaven and abortion is a shortcut, wouldn't you rather have been aborted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah!

This whole "cosmic test" God has people going through in order to get to heaven, is just plain wrong. He knows who will go to heaven... why not just create the people that He knows will go to heaven, and leave the rest uncreated? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 06:09 PM

This is getting weirder and weirder.
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say she plans on repenting and accepting Jesus after menopause. Seems pretty win-win to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has menopause got to do with it all? You guys are nuts, or you use words without knowing the meaning of those words. Is it like a competition to see who knows how to spell the longuest word (meaning doesn't come into it).

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What has menopause got to do with it all? You guys are nuts, or you use words without knowing the meaning of those words. Is it like a competition to see who knows how to spell the longuest word (meaning doesn't come into it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but trisyllabic words constitute but the nadir of my superfluous verbosity.

men·o·pause ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mn-pôz)
n.
The period marked by the natural and permanent cessation of menstruation, occurring usually between the ages of 45 and 55.

I'll let you put that into context by yourself. Your perspicacity could use the exercise.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah!

This whole "cosmic test" God has people going through in order to get to heaven, is just plain wrong. He knows who will go to heaven... why not just create the people that He knows will go to heaven, and leave the rest uncreated? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part where NotReady says "who are you to question God?"
Old 11-18-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part where NotReady says "who are you to question God?"

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But, since I was created in his image, I can do that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Premise 1: Christianity is true, and God, Heaven, Hell and Jesus are real.
Premise 2: Moral is the action that does the most good at the cost of the least bad.

A certain woman understands these premises. One day, she has an accidental pregnancy. She is very worried about the fact that there is a good chance that her child will not choose Christ (note that most people in this world are non-Christian). She aborts the child and it goes to Heaven.

She then decides to have a series of pregnancies, and abort each one. Each time, a new soul goes to Heaven. She continues doing this, under the belief that what she is doing is in the best interest of the unborn child (after all, Heaven is infinitely better than Earth.)

Is there anything wrong with this action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Andrea Yates subscribed to a similar thought process when she drowned her five children...something like "the world is evil and this is my children's best chance at heaven."

The reasoning of Andrea and your hypothetical multple abortion woman is obviously flawed. Evil is never justified, even when there may be a positive outcome. So even though the outcome of children in heaven is a good one, the means of accomplishing this is unacceptable.

We could take this absurd proposition a step further. The Church teaches that the age of reason is around 7 years...meaning that is the first time in a child's life where they should clearly know the difference between right and wrong. A result is that a child cannot commit a sin until they know they've done something wrong. What if someone proposed that all baptized children under Age 7 should be killed to guarantee their eternal salvation? It's a ludicrous proposition, but only marginally moreso than the woman who would intentionally impregnate/abort her unborn children for the same end.