Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Required economics classes?

Premise: For an economy to be sound, it is useful for its citizens to have a useful understanding of economic principles, so they can make good decisions.

Therefore, it would be advantageous to require a basic economics course as part of the American high school curriculum.

Agree or disagree?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Required economics classes?

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, it would be advantageous to require a basic economics course as part of the American public high school curriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 PM

It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact. I think only a small portion of those who have had economics classes understand how to implement it, since the vocabulary used makes it look so abstract.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would (hopefully) reduce the number of people who vote for those who want to raise the minimum wage.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would (hopefully) reduce the number of people who vote for those who want to raise the minimum wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. The leftist economics indoctrination classes will flood us with morans who misunderstand economics but think they know what they are talking about. A Disaster!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, it was my major and I believe raising the minimum wage is sound for the economy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. However, at the right time and in the right steps.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm soon to start my economics PhD and disagree vehemently. Detailed knowledge of economics is not necessary for the masses - let the knowledgable decide the best framework, and let the masses just go out and try and make the most of their lives, things will turn out well.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. The leftist economics indoctrination classes will flood us with morans who misunderstand economics but think they know what they are talking about. A Disaster!

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but don't be so sure. 7 out of 10 economists think raising the minimum wage is bad thing. It'd be kinda hard to ignore.

Arfinn: I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you deserve a refund? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'll concede the point that there may be times when raising it may be good, but in general I think it's bad.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:11 PM

Econ was a requirement for graduation at the highschools in my school district....I kind of assumed it was a widespread policy, is it not?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be advantegous, but I don't know if it would really have any big impact. I think only a small portion of those who have had economics classes understand how to implement it, since the vocabulary used makes it look so abstract.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's probably true. I should have mentioned that this economics class would focus on applied principles, in addition to theory. And that it would not laiden with leftist egalitarian propaganda. And that the teachers teaching it aren't dumb as [censored]. And the same for the students. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Well, while we're in fantasy land, here, have a pony.