Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Bigslick789 owned me bad.

Aight. For those who don't play Pokerstars enough to know, Bigslick789 is one of the "top" players on the site, 2nd or so on the yearly TLB, and kicks a lot of ass overall. I don't know his handle on other sites.

Anyways, this hand came up in the 50 rebuy about a week ago, I've been meaning to post it, but haven't gotten around to it. The 50 rebuy happens every day at around 3:30 pm, and overall its a fairly tough tournament. The shark-donk ratio is kind of high. At one point in the tournament I was at a table with The Shrike, SamENole, and TheBeat, hmm...

Now onto the hand. 150 or so entered, we're down to final two tables, 15 left I think. Top 18 paid, but obviously real cash is up at the top 3. Blinds are 1500/3000, and stacks are pretty deep, and me and slick are the two bigstacks. He is directly to my right and we both have been taking turns stealing quite a bit, with a lot of success. He has about 170,000, I have about 110,000. I have played with him a few times before, and I have a decent idea of how he plays. If he has notes on me, they probably are loose aggressive, or lunatic maybe.

7 handed, its folded to him in the CO, he raises to 9k. I'm on the button and I reraise to 24k with T8o. Blinds insta fold, and Bigslick789 immediatly pushes. I mean, INSTA-pushes. I actually think he's pretty weak, but I obviously can't call. I pretend to think for about 10 seconds, then fold. He shows 87o to the table after I fold.

All the railbirds ooo and ahhh, good times.

Just a good example of showing how to play the big stack, and how a good read on a player can take you far.

So yeah. Bigslick789 kicked my ass.

edit: Hey, MLG, catchy enough title for ya?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Bigslick789 owned me bad.

I have come to believe on pokerstars that making moves in LP w/ medoicre cards sucks. On that site I would much rather raise 76s UTG 9 handed than OTB. Despite the fact you have 6 more hands to deal with you will take the blinds much more often.

Ok, this was really a rant, but people are so aggressive in LP w/ stealing and restealing that I have come to believe it is better to raise w/ good cards for value and not to steal on Pokerstars.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:41 PM

whats ur reraising range here? What is your calling range here?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:55 PM

My reraising range is any 2.

My calling range, is probably AQ, AK, 99+. It might be a little looser though.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:56 PM

Especially in higher buy in tournaments. They play soooo aggro.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM

My guess is that you'd reraise a premium hand to about that much as well, but something in your timing (or the fact that you'd been playing back at him with some regularity) flipped a switch in his alright bright poker mind. In other words you probably raised unusually fast/slow which gave him a read that he took to the barn. On stars, I practice waiting until the 3rd blink of my name before acting. Not necessary against weaker opposition but you want guys like him to believe that you could have QQ here. The fact that he INSTA pushed indicates that he had a read of some kind.

Everett

Edit: It also likely has to do with him being in an *obvious* steal spot and you being in an *obvious* resteal spot. He expects you to resteal here a lot more than other positions. So be careful as your credibility is lower here.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:05 PM

that's some nice poker.

i think to generalize and say that stealing in LP has little merit is wrong, but on Stars, there is no question in my mind that the play at this level is quite good, and thus players are more position-conscious and likely to pull moves like this.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:06 PM

I was on AIM with bigslick789 during this hand. He didn't explain all of his thinking to me because he was in a number of games, but he knew what was going on... he specifically said he was confident you were on a resteal and if you weren't, you couldn't call with most hands because of your healthy stack going up against a bigger stack.

Are you supernova9? I can't remember the name of who he was going up against, but that rings a bell.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:41 AM

Yeah, I'm Supernova9. I soon after donked off my chips to some other player.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:51 AM

I didnt feel like I needed a real hand here to play back because of the following reasons:
1) I had such a huge chip lead over the rest of the table and the tournament (even you, I believe I had around 200k chips)
2) I felt your reraising range was wide because of my loose image during that level of play and because you were stealing blinds a fair amount of the time as well
3) I felt your range of calling hands of my reraise all-in was low because you were 2nd or 3rd in chips at the time and didnt need to gamble with mediocre hands such as AQ, 77, and weaker holdings.