Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Jesus was unnecessary

1) God is all-knowing
2) God is all-powerful
3) God created man, imperfect and heaven, perfect.
4) Man apparently can't get into heaven.
5) If God wanted to, he could have created a purification method to allow man into Heaven, even though he had sins.
6) God knew that he would create such a purification method (albeit a barbaric one) around 33ADish.
7) But God elected not to for a couple millenia, and instead stuck man with a law that (according to most protestants) left man damned either way because it didn't purify him.

So what we're left with is: God, having the power to purify man's sins effortlessly and knowing that he would need to create a purification method in the future, simply elected not to for several millenia, and when he did, it was a disgusting and brutal act that he intended.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Jesus was unnecessary

Yep, isn't He mean?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM

You negate the possibility that Jesus didn't die for our sins, but he was sent because he didn't clean his room in heaven.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:25 PM

AHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's HILARIOUS!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's HILARIOUS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did your dad not hug you when you were a kid?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 AM

<----------------OOT is that way. Get thee to the zoo.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:35 AM

I've come to believe God manifested Himself on earth as Jesus. Because He lived, was tempted, suffered and died as a man, I can't tell Him he doesn't know what I'm feeling or experiencing. He does know and because He knows, He understands how I can fail at being Christlike. He knows I try.

He gave me free will. I make good and bad choices. Sometimes He's pleased with me and sometimes He's pissed. But He always loves me. Like most parents, He forgives me. And He never stops loving me. I don't take that lightly.

When I die I'll have to account for my sins. I believe I've been forgiven but I don't think I'm not going to have to answer for the wrong things I've done.

I do believe there is a hell. There are truly evil people on earth. They seem never to have tried to be otherwise. Hell may be nothing other than nothingness.

I don't take the Bible literally. It was written for mostly uneducated, simple people. I'm not totally comfortable that all the translations have been exact. I do believe the essence has always remained.

I would never claim knowledge of how God "thinks" or exactly what the Bible means. I do know the comfort I have in my beliefs.

Because we only know a minute portion of the universe and very little about earth, it's easy to try and put our questions and tests in our frame of reference. We simply can't understand God.

If I'm wrong and there is no God, I'll die and never know. It won't matter. If I'm right, it will matter. And everything will have been worth it.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I'm wrong and there is no God, I'll die and never know. It won't matter. If I'm right, it will matter. And everything will have been worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pascal's Wager???
Old 11-04-2005, 05:37 AM

I dont know any Christians who say that those who lived before Christ could not be saved. Could be wrong, but I think most Christians believe that the sacrifices of the OT pointed forward to Christ, and that those in the OT (i.e. Abraham were still saved by faith.

**Also, your propositions do not logically support your conclusion that Jesus was unnecessary. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know any Christians who say that those who lived before Christ could not be saved. Could be wrong, but I think most Christians believe that the sacrifices of the OT pointed forward to Christ, and that those in the OT (i.e. Abraham were still saved by faith.

**Also, your propositions do not logically support your conclusion that Jesus was unnecessary. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]You must not understand what happened during the 3 days before the resurection. Jesus went to hell to preach there and save those that could be saved, or so the stroy goes. Man I'd hate to believe in a God that couldn't save Abraham and Isaac (who was way cooler that jesus anyways). Isaac was also slayed and resurected. The modern version of the bible does not go into the same amount of details as the books that became the New Testament went into.