Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 AM

Default I don\'t think I was out of line on 3rd, do you?

$22 multi table stud tourney. down to about 4 tables with final two getting paid. i have a high placed stack here somewhere in the top 10. Tables are very loose and i'm not the best multiway pot player, but when i get a big hand like A43 I jam it very early to push my edge when I have it.
This hand ends up sucking as I brick completely on 4th and 5th and end up folding on 5th (4th was checked through), but my main concern is 3rd.

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level VIII (300/600), Ante 50 (converter)

Seat 1: 970
Seat 2: 5,085
Seat 3: 2,566
Seat 4: 2,367
Hero: 7,056
Seat 7: 3,369
Seat 8: 8,862

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls 20 and is all-in
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Old 10-30-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: I don\'t think I was out of line on 3rd, do you?

what makes you think you're out of line on third?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 AM

Cause i'm often called out for a very laggy style (which apparently works for me) and I wonder whether it would be better in this TOURNEY situation to see 4th before jamming.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:43 AM

you have a strong hand here. If you want to see where your laggy style is inapproriate, posting some more marginal hands might be useful.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:53 AM

I think you played this fine. You have all of those suckers trapped in, I don't see any reason not to trap them all for the max
Old 10-30-2005, 09:50 AM

I for one can see what you are saying about playing a bit slower in a tourney, but with that many players in I don't think you have much choice. Your hand is too good against an 8 and a 9 showing especially, plus everyone's spades are dead.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 AM

Perfect play on third, the 2 is going all in, and you've got the 9 (nine?) putting in four bets. Plus you have plenty of chips to make this play. If you had a small stack then I'd def. want to see what happened on 4th before I started getting all the chips in, but wuth the way you described the hand---send it in.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 PM

In a cash game, I would jam on third every time. In a tournament, however, I would at least consider just calling on third. Yes, you do have an edge, but it probably isn't that large. By playing it the way you did, you've committed a good chunk of your stack, and you've made the pot big enough that you'll have to make some calls you'd rather not on later streets. A Five and a Deuce are gone, and those are key tickets for your hand. If those were good players calling along there, I'd be concerned that your edge is almost non-existent. The only hands that actually make sense for the the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are rolled-up trips. Of course, I wouldn't automatically put them on those hands.

Although you have one of the bigger stacks in the tournament, you're still short-stacked. You don't sit in cash games with only 12 BB in front of you, right? Right? So I'd be looking for bigger edges, and the bigger edges usually show up later in the hand.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a cash game, I would jam on third every time. In a tournament, however, I would at least consider just calling on third. Yes, you do have an edge, but it probably isn't that large. By playing it the way you did, you've committed a good chunk of your stack, and you've made the pot big enough that you'll have to make some calls you'd rather not on later streets. A Five and a Deuce are gone, and those are key tickets for your hand. If those were good players calling along there, I'd be concerned that your edge is almost non-existent. The only hands that actually make sense for the the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are rolled-up trips. Of course, I wouldn't automatically put them on those hands.

Although you have one of the bigger stacks in the tournament, you're still short-stacked. You don't sit in cash games with only 12 BB in front of you, right? Right? So I'd be looking for bigger edges, and the bigger edges usually show up later in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I was asking, and I agree with you. Taking advantage of every small +EV chance you get is crucial (or if not crucial.. smart) in cash games, but I think Hero could be able to pass up his tiny edge here in favor of putting the money in when he has a bigger edge on 4th or 5th street. I'm trying to say this without being results oriented, although losing the low in this hand sucked pretty bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Interesting to see everyone's reaction though